Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nice-looking musicman copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mrbungle, Aug 14, 2003.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Does anyone have any experience on Fame guitars&basses. Their Musicman copy looks quite nice - IMO much better than the official OLP and SUB models. The Fame body is ash and it has active electronics (which might be it's achilles heel though).
    http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/englisch/shop/produktinfo.asp?info=BAS0000800-000

I think i'm going to buy one in near future. Any reasons why I shouldn't?(I really look for that Musicman sound, and the originals are almost 2000 euros here)

2. u do know a sub is prettey much a ray but with diffent finshes and a diffent preamp.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    And the wood is poplar, so there isn't too much similarities except for the shape and pup position.. :)

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Solid color Stingrays have often been made of poplar. It is tonally pretty similar to alder and swamp ash.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the SUB is worth gettin as a 2nd or 3rd bass, and the OLP as a first. I wouldnt buy either of them if you already own several basses, i think its a waste of money. Save for the stingray.

6. i didnt say
    its a ray but with diffent finshes and a diffent preamp.

i said pretty much.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I don't get the point of getting a COPY of anything, based upon LOOKS. I mean, if its already a knockoff, it WILL play worse than its namesake.

8. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Well, those modern CNC -cutters do awesome job. I can't see myself paying 2000e for a Stingray (could get a custom job for the price) but am willing to spend 400 to get close enough. I recently sold my Fender Jazz and bought a Suzuki J-copy which was definitely better (I compared them side-to-side), except for the pups. But still, you have a point. I hate the J not having Fender logo on the headstock :)

I recall some TBer recording with Essex Jazz Copy despite having many $$$$$$$ brand-name basses.

9. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

Question for the Forum:

How do the companies that make Musicman/Fender copies avoid lawsuits?

Of course, OLP is licensed by Ernie Ball, but I highly doubt that "Fame" or "Jay Turser" have the same agreements in place.

Could it be that Ernie Ball has some difficulty in pursuing legal action against a company based in Europe? Surely they have patents filed in the EU.

These designs are the intellectual property of another company and should be treated as such. If these companies have agreements in place with the original designers/manufacturers, then great. Otherwise, I would not be interested in purchasing one of these Basses. Obviously, this is just my opinion here, and I am not passing judgement on those of you who own or are planning to own one of these instruments.

- Tom

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Based on the results of the Gibson/Norlin lawsuit, you can really only patent/trademark the headstock design.

So, it is legal to make a bass that looks just like a Stingray, P Bass, Jazz, etc, as long as the headstock isn't the same.

Official licensees get the right to use the headstock shape as well, and get the 'official' badge of approval, as if that makes them better than the other copies.

Would you rather have a Jazz made of Mighty Mite officially licensed parts, or a Sadowsky?;)

11. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

If that's the case, then "Fame" is in trouble. Their headstock is almost identical to a real 'ray.

12. if u look close all the did was steal a pic, it looks like it has the real logo on it.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio

A sub is 3 times worse that an OLD IYO?

14. I say play before you pay. It might be a faithful reproduction, or it might be a worthless piece of crap.

15. I think he means olp as a first bass as in a starter bass.. then work your way up to a sub etc when you get better..

mike

16. Chingachgook

Chingachgook Guest

Aug 13, 2003
    Hm i own this Musicman Copie (Fame MM 400) in a very nice sunburst, like the picture shows. I come from Germany, Cologne, where the Musicstore has its Shop, and the price proportional to the workmanship and the accomplishment is great ! In my opinion the best Musicman Copie ever. Fame is the own-label of the Musicstore here in Cologne, due to this, they can afford them very cheap ...

17. what about the Dillion MM copies?

18. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Yeah those Lakland and Sadowsky basses suck! :rolleyes:

19. I dunno about Lakland, never ever got to play one!!!!

20. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I haven't either but they MUST be doing something right for people to like them.