1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice QC there, Fender...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleeplessknight, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    So for those of you following my '08 Std Jazz saga, I finally had some time to take her apart this evening. I loosened the strings, took out all the bajillion little screws on the control plate, pickguard, bridge, all that good stuff, and she came apart like buttah. I immediately noticed something amiss...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NadAZU5MbrICcqOyBhkASA?feat=directlink

More pics here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lwhalen/NiceQCThereFender

For those of you who've never taken your Jazz bass apart before, there's supposed to be a ground wire there that connects the bridge/strings to ground in the control plate. Whoever assembled this bad momma-jamma kinda neglected to put one in there... :p

It was a quick fix, I just ran a wire from the bridge to the pot, soldered it, put everything back together, tuned her up, and shzam! Gone was the annoying buzz. However, I wasn't too pleased about that HUGE route right in the center of my gorgeous, gorgeous J-bass. Does anyone know why they did that? Also, what's with the dime-sized drill-hole a little forward of the control plate/neck pickup route?

Original Fender wiring diagram (how it's supposed to look) here:
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0193400_02A/SD0193400_02APg2.pdf

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    luckily you have that nice pickguard to cover up the ugly routing.

my fender's have that hole too. if i remember correctly it's where the machine holds onto the bass or something to that effect.

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Amazing, can't believe that was omitted. And the family-size route? I hate that too. It takes more time and wear on a bit in a CNC to do that than to just do the pup route. Sure they'd have 2 tool changes, but yer already doing it for the bridge pup, so come on already Fender, start realizing some people like to take the pickguards off. It's a nice look. Other makers have proven that.

Oh, and that pther hole is either a registration point for the CNC, or a place to slap the dowel rack dowel during finisheing / drying. Also mega ultra lame.
    Fender uses a seconds long UV light curing process in their finishes, so WHY the rack time? screw her on with a neck pocket rod like sane people do, hang THAT on a rack and cure it and get on with it.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually, I kinda like the big route on my MIM P as compared to the MIJ P. Much, much, easier to put shielding in the big route then a hole :p

5. In a perfect world, with properly grounded and shielded components, you wouldn't need that ground wire to the bridge. But we know how perfect this world is.

The rout is unfortunate; you really aren't going to want to run that baby without a pickguard. I have a Classic 60s Jazz, and there are no extraneous routs; take off the pickguard and the only thing marring a perfect sunburst finish is the screw holes.

Yeah, the single, round rout is a CNC index hole; a metal peg goes in there, and it's used by the system as a reference point for all the other cuts. Bummer that.

-jb

6. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I would feel the same way, if my '08 Std had the same issue when new............Nice catch though with the ground wire! :cool: I think that pick up and control routing is just a cost cutting measure. I bet it saves on assembly time too, especially if you leave wire out! :eyebrow: I'm sure your bass will rock now, they really are nice! No more "sleeplessknight"(s) for you! :bag: