1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NICE RACK!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by THEBASSMONGER, Oct 5, 2006.

1. I have decided to build a rack mounted bass amp system. I am seriously looking at Eden amps, the WT800, WT1250, or the WT 1550. I was also going to stack a BBE sonic maximizer although today I have read some negative stuff about the BBE, burning up headroom and creating too much of a booming sound. Maybe I should consider Aphex equipment instead? I am also including a Tech21 Sansamp RBI preamp. is there anything that I am missing or that I should be looking at to include in mt rack? I don't want to find out later that I should have included other equipment in the rack. By the way I really appreciate the response that you Talkbass members give to these topics and threads, way more than Fretplay and other forums. I hope that you fellow Talkbass members can help me put together a killer bass rackmounted amp. Thanx:D

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I haven't had the "booming" experience with the BBE Sonic Maximizer - quite the opposite actually. I've found it tightens up the bottom end.

A few other things to consider:
    1. Power conditioner - Some consider it nothing better than a power strip, but I like the convenience of the rack-mount configuration and front-panel master switch for the whole rack. Mine also includes a voltage meter to let me know of any low-voltage issues.
    2. Tuner - A lot of people prefer a pedal tuner (i.e. Boss TU-2), but others prefer to have it in the rack and out of the signal chain (most amps have a "tuner out").
    3. Compressor - You may or may not use a compressor. If you do, and it's something you tend to leave on all the time, the rack is a good place to have it.
    4. Storage drawer - A good place to keep cables, strings, etc.

Of course, all of these aren't "necessary" just options. Only you can determine what works for you.

A word of advice...If this is the first rack you're putting together, buy a rack case that is at least 2 spaces more than you need right now. I'd bet you'll find things you want to put in there in the near future.

BTW - Ask around in the AMP forum also. They love big racks over there.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

some of them actually are nothing more than power strips in rack form. the better ones do condition the power going to your gear, making sure that voltages don't fluctuate and that buzz/hum doesn't occur. a very good thing to have, in my opinion.

tech 21 RBI is awesome, too.

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The perfect rack for me, if I wanted the majority of my kit in a rack, would be:
    amp head (or pre/power setup)
    tuner
    compressor
    power strip

If my amp/preamp didn't have enough EQ control, I might want an additional EQ unit. If you go with one of the Eden heads, you won't need extra EQ, and you might be satisfied with the onboard compressor.

The rack I'm putting together:
    Ampeg SVPCL
    QSC PLX (1802 or 1804, haven't decided yet)
    Boss TU-50 tuner
    Ashly CL-100 compressor (or Aphex Dominator limiter, haven't decided yet)
    TrippLite IsoBar12 power strip

The Ashly comp is a half-rack, to fit next to the Boss tuner. If I went with one of the full-rack comps instead, I would probably put a 1/2 rack fx unit (like a delay or overdrive by Scholz Rockman, or an EQ unit by Boss, Ashly, or Presonus) in the spot next to the tuner.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My rack (top to bottom)...

Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner
    Korg DTR-1000 tuner
    BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer
    dbx 160A Compressor
    Ampeg SVT III-Pro

It gets the job done for me.

If I was to get nutty about things, I'd jump up to a 12-space with wheels, put my pedals on a rack shelf with a Voodoo Labs Ground Control switching system, and add a 3-space junk drawer. However, I'd need someome to lift the thing for me any time I had a gig ;)

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a 6 space SKB rack which is very light and the following gear:

Furman PL-Plus power conditioner
    KORg DTR-1 Tuner
    Eden Navigator pre amp
    Tapco Juice 1400w power amp

six spaces is as big as I would want to go as the power amp alone is 48 pounds. Its a sweet setup though and the tuner and power conditioner are great for convenience and keeping the setup simple. I use a pedal board for my effects. If I had roadies, I would get an 8 space and have a rack drawer as well to carry accessories in.

Crabby

7. I think that rack mounting is the way to go. Once you get it all arranged, it makes set up and break down at gigs a breeze, and it offers extra protection to your gear.

If you are going to run particularly high-powered or high heat-producing amps or gear, you may want to consider auxiliary cooling fans, as some racks tend to reduce heat disipation.

The power conditioner is a must. Better to throw a breaker or actually smoke a $150 power conditioner than a $2000 amp.

Once ya go rack, ya never go back.:bassist:

8. This might be OT, but better than starting a new thread!

I've got a quick question. I was wondering if I could put a 2-space rack unit in a 3-space rack so that there would be equal space on the top and bottom of the rack unit? Or would the holes not line up between the rack and the rack unit?

9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love my modest rack..

Furman PL-8 (I'm thinking of upgrading to a real conditioner)
    Ampeg SVT3-Pro
    GK Backline 600

All in a SKB 5-space rolling rack...

The rolling rack is a great idea, It's easy to move.. I love it..

One thing to keep in mind when racking your amps and other equipment is where the cooling path is..

On the Ampeg, it cools from the back, but the GK cools from the top. I have the GK on the top of the rack, as there is sufficient clearance (about 1/2") between the top of th amp and the roof of the rack for air flow.

If I make any changes, I might stick a Sonic Maximizer in there, as well as a 2-space rack, and possibly get a rack-mount fan unit to assist in moving the air around.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021