Nice small/lightweight heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 9, 2006.

1. I know ampeg makes a smaller head for their "portabass" series...

Im looking to lightify my setup... i mean, really, if i can find a small amp like an ampeg^ with sliders, i would be set.. cause thats what i really want...

Playing upright and lugging around a big amp can, and will get annoying... i just want to know if i can fix it in anyway...

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Does "with sliders" mean a graphic eq?

If that's an absolute requirement, I don't think you'll have many options. If that isn't a big deal, the Acoustic Image Clarus and Focus become options. Lots of guys seem to like those with an upright.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a Thunderfunk TFB420 and Schroeder 1210 with Double Bass a lot. It kills, and is really transportable. I prefer the semi parametric to graphic sliders any day, and the timbre control is really useful.
  4. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Some things that might help reccomendations:
    What is your budget?
    What sound are you trying to get, something that's good for just double bass?

I'd something like an AI Focus for a small lightweight and clear sounding head without any constraints.
  5. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    alot of upright players seem to like the acoustic image amps they're very lightweight, some say the smaller models are overly optomistic on their wattage ratings...

Euphonic audio amps also seem popular with upright players too! also I'd recommend looking into Aguilar ag500 amp

and finally, Eden amps my personally current favorite, but not sure how much upright players like them because they could be a bit "bottom heavy" but they have a VERY FLEXIBLE eq system if you learn how to use it right! Thunderfunk amps are similar in the flexibility of eq control, some people like them better than eden? not sure because I haven't heard them...:(
  6. I would look into a Markbass Little Mark, tiny, sounds good and light wieght.
  7. my budget is quite thin actually... i may have to stick with the amp ive got now...

and yes, i did mean a graphic eq... maybe i could get an itty bitty one to tack onto an itty bitty amp
  8. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Thunderfunk TFB550B ... 'nuff said
  9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The Mesa Walkabout and Eden Traveler heads are great portable heads. Both fit in a gig bag that can be carried over the shoulder and both sound great (although certainly different than each other).
  10. UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    another vote for Thunderfunk 550b
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    How powerful and expensive do you need? Don't overlook the GK Backline 600 head. Sounds great with upright.
  12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    OK, I'll throw in the obligatory Walter Woods Ultra suggestion...;)

13. it would be great if people were throwing out prices and wattage with this...

im getting a neo setup... an avatar... and need an amp that wont overdoo them... even though there pretty high... like 500watts...

geez what am i saying..

i dont really want to put much pressure on them... because i dont think i need to... probably like 250 watts...

actually, now i own a hartke 3500... and i was thinking of getting a new 2500... because its got a nice graphic Eq. and a tube preamp, which i know i want...

any suggestions?
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in the under 15 lbs. catagory, here are my thoughts to many of the amps mentioned and that i've also owned:

acoustic image focus/clarus - awesome power for something soo freakin' light and small. simple treb, mid, bass do nothing for me, but the notch filter and high pass filter do a good job of dialing out boominess. Joker's EQ Versatility Rating (JEQVR) = 4.1

eden wt550 - great warm furry tone. the eden EQ 3 stage setup is a modern day classic patterned after the good ol' AMP line, which IMHO, is the best for bassist. boost or cut and pick your freq. isnt any more versatile nor powerful. JEQVR = 7.25

aguilar ag500 - killer aguilar punch with an overdrive channel that shames most pedals. while i pay no mind to anything w/o a sweepable midrange section, the voicings of the EQ section are superb and just what the good doctor ordered. JEQVR = 5.5

epifani ul502 - hifi, clear, woody, and oh so detailed. superbly voiced sweepable midrange. one of my favs. and nice mid cut feature and cool high freq. switch to boot. also, two channels is the way of the future. JEQVR = 6.85

thunderfunk tfb550 - timeless classic design brought to the modern era. similar if not better EQ setup vis a vis the WT550, thx to the 4 stage section. and timbre knob is a thing of sheer plug 'n play versatility while also being a tweaker's best friend. JEQVR = 8.25

euphonic audio iAMP-500 & 800 - clean clear, hifi, yet oddly warm. go figure. smartly designed 4 stage semi para section, deep, bright, contour switches, and a "why didnt i think of that" flat EQ switch, it has the EQ section of champions. JEQVR = 8.99

all of these amps are regularly found in the classifieds of our good fair forum, and it impresses upon you to invest in something worthwhile.
  15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    GK Backline 600 head, 300W into 4 Ohms, $300 street price, readily available, 16 pounds. Tone settings for flat response:

Treble = -2
    Hi Mid = +1
    Lo Mid = -1
    Bass = -3
    Contour = Minimum

Starting with those settings, and ignoring the effects, it is just a basic amp -- a delight. The "boost" gives you a bit of growl if you want it, and seems to take the edge off of power amp clipping without getting in the way of normal playing.

Read my geeky review at:
  16. cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i face this same dilemma and i have the same questions

mesa walkabout head or a used impulse 360 or 600
    g-k 400IV or a 1001
    eden 550 or a used 300 or 400
    and should i break down my 2/2x15 ev cabs into 1x15's
    or should i sell them and
    get a 2 x 10 and a 1x15
    or get 2/1x12
    oh yeah and i have a couple of jbl 130a's
    that are available too

just trying to get any opinions about reliability
    or experience with these
  17. Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    GENZ-BENZ NEO-PAK 3.5..... I am not even sure if this product is out in stores yet, I got to demo one the other day in the store I work in. Sounds great, 12ax7 pre-amp tube on the front end with solid state power. 350 watts, and it only weight 7 pounds. I was digging it.
  18. once you get a price quote, feel free to tell me... it actually sounds greatly interesting...