Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice sounding Yamaha, good backup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassampegman, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Gigged my spare bass last week, normally take the musicman but as gig a bit too in your face and rowdy i decided to rock out with my secondhand Yamaha BBG4G S11 and i must say that it is a very very nice bass for the money, ok not a musicman but it plays and sounds really nice. It was about the 1/10th of the cost of a musicman so im well impressed. Check them out if you want a good low cost backup or second bass. Discontinued now so its ebay or something im afraid.

2. I have to agree with you, bassampegman.

I also own a Stingray and a Yamaha BBN5 II, a model that's somewhat similar to yours. Yes, those not-so-expensive Yamahas are almost impossible to beat; you don't expect much from them, but they deliver so much. And you don't have to worry about taking them anywhere.

Sometimes less is more.

Mike ;)

3. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree as well, my first 5-string was a BBN5II (completely passive model). Picked it up for around $400, all I did was drop in an aftermarket preamp. Man that bass sounded great live and in the studio. Got a lot of mileage out of it. Ended up letting it go for petty reasons but I do wish I had kept it.

4. WOW!

My BBN5II was also my first 5er, and I also paid $399 for it.

Small world, Z-bass. :)

Mike

5. My Yamaha TRB is my first gigging bass, and the RBX and BBs that I have recommended to friends have been very capable instruments too. I do find that the older ones are better though, and excellent bargains on the secondhand market.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have to agree. My ONLY fretted bass is my Yamaha BB605. I love it. I like 34' scale basses and they are hard to find in a 5 or 6 string. I got it for $350. I did change out the preamp and pups to a Bartolini system...now it REALLY sounds nice.

It's also very light, especially compared to my Carvin Walnut fretless 6 - also with Bartolini electronics.

7. All this talk about Yamahas made me take mine out on Christmas Eve and plug it in. It hasn't been out of the case since April. :eek:

I know, shame on me. :oops:

I haven't played this bass in almost eight months since I put a set of Elixirs on it, and the D and G strings were still in tune! :eek: The B, E and A were only slightly out.

Unbelievable.

Mike