Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice sounds at last night's gig...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rllefebv, Feb 17, 2002.

1. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Last night was my first gig since replacing the speakers in my RC210 with Eminence Kappas ... Wow! Sweet sounding bass all night long, good projection to the back of the room, bass sat very well in the mix, no farting at all... A totally successful mod!!

Also played my 'new' Fender Musicmaster. This is where the fun was really to be had. I got this bass last weekend and have been thoroughly enjoying it since. As I said in the linked post, it had a badly replaced plastic nut, which I corrected with a new bone one... Also, the signal seemed very weak. If you've ever seen one of these, you probably know that they use a Strat pickup under that cover. I seemed to remember it being pretty hot, but it had been over 18 years since I had played a 'real' one... While I was replacing the nut, I yarded out the electronics, and sure enough, only about 30% of the pickups signal was getting to the output jack. A quick replacement of the volume pot and instant signal!

It's been about 20 years since I've gigged with a Musicmaster, but it instantly felt like home! This little beast just flat out rocked... had a very sweet sounding mid presence that easily cut through the mix. I ended up playing it all night long, never even took the P out of it's case. The one drawback is that I can't get the action high enough as it is currently setup. I was getting a bit of 'string against fret' noise, that I find a smidge unpleasing... Because of the way that the bridge is built, to get the strings as high as I like them, the saddles become too high to properly intonate, as the angle on the length adjusting screw gets pretty extreme. Tomorrow I'll make a shim out of some 1/16" mahogany stock that I have and put it under the bridge for increased height.

All in all, I am completely enthralled with this little bass and am pretty happy to have one kicking around again!

-robert