1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice synth, great deal at 20 bucks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassyBill, Oct 23, 2010.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  3. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Based on the description (picks, bows, hammers, etc...) I'm guessing it's similar to Logic's Sculpture in terms of voice creation?

4. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm not familiar with Sculpture, but I know it's another string modelling synth, so there will be some similarities, yes.

5. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
  6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have three AAS products now - the Lounge Lizard electric piano, Ultra Analog synth and the String Studio. All of them are excellent ( I bought the last two for $20 each - can't beat that).

Lounge Lizard is still the very best electric piano plug in I've found, way way better than any of the sampled insturments out there like the Native Instruments version. Just so much more flexible and responsive. Modelling instruments for the win, eh? I need to save some cash for a breath controller and get some brass and wind software now, it would be awesome for some of my big band charts.

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I agree. It's quite amazing what a little $20 string modeler can do in the right hands. Sounds that aren't part of the real world, but an idealized sound you can only get from software. It sounds like it should be something in the real world but just doesn't exist.

For Jazz and Big Band, Garritan's Jazz and Big Band is really good and cheap. Full Sections to Trumpet shakes, to simulating brush swirls. It's all there. The Aria player needs a good DAW to make it all work. It is sample based.

8. taotekid

taotekid

Oct 26, 2010
    hey, thanks Bassybill, I'm glad that you like it :D

I have made 3 upright bass patches,
    2 acoustic ones & one electrified,
    you can try the 2 others here (& you can also hear the electric-violin-esque patch in the 1st demo):

http://taotekid.bandcamp.com/album/aas-string-studio-vs-1-upright-bass-presets

All instruments except the drums are AAS String Studio,
    & I've only added some convolution reverb for the acoustic demos,
    & the electrified patch is played through a bass amp sim,

& thanks for putting the link up here Seamonkey :)

Blessings,

Eric

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I like Garritan libraries. But I just got a really good deal on a crossgrade to the full version of Kontakt 4 (£129!) so I've got 43 gigs of samples to check out before I decide whether I need any more. ;)

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Kontakt is great. You'll never get through all the nuances of the 43 gigs of libs.
    There's so much there.
    The Akkord Guitar in Kontakt is fabulous. Strummed guitar samples in guitar voicing - it sounds great.

Oh, and don't forget to do a "Files" -> "Batch re-save" on the top directory of your library. It speeds loading tremendously.

For one of the most useful scripts for building band sections checkout
    http://cinesamples.com/blog/
    And look for Cinemap
    Basically, it lets you instantly map different keys to different instruments.
    You can put together horn sections, splitting the keys and overlapping wherever you want.

You can now steer clear of the new Garritan stuff as it uses Aria player now, which only has a fraction of the features and power of Kontakt.

11. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks for the link, that looks worth checking out.

As far as Garritan J&BB goes, I think I can host the Garritan libraries in Kontakt if I decide to get them later, right? I know the Kontakt library is pretty awesome, but that J&BB product does seem specially tailored for some things that I do.

Check this pic of Garritan PO in Kontakt. Is this still an option, or do they have to be used with the Aria player now?

[​IMG]

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    All the Garritan new stuff is Aria.
    I have the Kontakt GPO and JABB myself.
    I upgraded GPO and it came with Aria player.
    Either way - it still sounds great.
    There's just no scripting in Aria.