1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nice travel stands...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Oct 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Always on the hunt for sturdy yet portable stands for gigging. I bought a couple of these Fretrest stands from GC and I've been very happy with them. They fold up small, nice rubber to protect finishes.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/FretRest-by-Proline/Electric-Folding-A-Frame-Guitar-Stand.gc

They were $14 when I bought mine. Had them for over six months of gigging. I was pretty surprised to see the negative reviews, especially about the rubber deteriorating. So far mine are still like new and I trust any of my basses on them on my gigs.

2. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I use either Hercules(got the single, double, and triple), or I have one of those Roadrunner 7 slot rack/case deals, if the situation calls for it...

3. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    While these, from Fender, s-l225. are for electric and acoustic guitars, they do serve other purposes in a pinch. And they pack away very nicely :)

4. I would have trouble trusting a stand that short not to topple the first time someone bumps into the headstock walking by. I have one short stand that I trust because it is very wide and solid, but it won't fold up that small.

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Yeah, I'm more concerned about keeping my instruments secure than I am about how compact a stand will transport - YMMV, though...

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I have a couple of those Fender stands. I won't use them for anything.

7. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    I have one acoustic stand. And I muck around sometimes with temporarily parking other gear. They do not inspire confidence but under safe circumstances, no probs. They have a little 'give' which works in their favor :)

8. ahadl2500

ahadl2500

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I am a Hercules fan, but highly recommend not buying the Hercules stands that have plastic. Eventually the rubberized coating on them gums up and the plastic dries out (cracking and ruining the stand). I have been very happy with their mini stand (GS402BB) and shock safe stand (GS405B). However, my old autogrip stand (GS414B) found its way to the trash can this year after it broke.

For a compact stand, the GS402BB is a solid option. However, I will agree with others that I generally prefer a full size stand to a compact stand. For what it is worth the GS405B folds down pretty compact for a larger stand. I mainly use the compact stand for my electric banjo since it doesn't like fitting in a typical guitar stand (either too short or the high g string tuner wants to hit the where the stand holds the neck).

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I have the electric guitar versions. They're so low profile that they feel like anything could make my basses fall off... a gust of wind, an errant gnat, jealous stares. Because of the wide spread of the fold-downs they're useless for setting small amps on. They looked like a good option because they get so small but that's their only plus IME. A very small plus. I just feel that it's a poor design.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  10. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    A-frames are simply no good (to me) on stage, unless the stage is 100% secure, meaning neither audience members or other players can get to it. I use Ultimate Support S100 stands which fold small, fit in my gig gear case nicely, have no moving mechanical parts (springs, levers and whatnot), are durable on the road, and hold my guitars/basses very securely, even on a busy stage. UltimateSupport: GS-100 - Guitar Stands and Pedalboards - Products

11. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    I think the 'travel stand' concept threw me a little. Apologies for my lack of perception :) I'd have to agree with @RustyAxe, @Spectrum et al. A more robust stand is mandatory, in most circumstances. I fell into the locking arms of Hercules stands and I've been a fan ever since - one three-way and one single get the lion's share of duties these days.

But, if I was traveling light and needing somewhere to park an axe, like inside a hotel room or at a nice, secluded spot, like on an isolated beach by the sea or in a park or a forest miles from nowhere, almost any little stand would probably do the trick. (I like the Fenders because they lock solid, like a drum stand.) And, under such conditions, no one else would be allowed to get anywhere near the stand and its contents. Not a chance.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I use my stands towards the rear and to the side of my rig. Someone would have to go deep on stage to get near them. Fortunately that's not an issue on my gigs. And the can actually take a decent knock and not fall over.

Tom Bomb likes this.