1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nice tubey growl from my Class D Markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ficelles, Nov 1, 2018.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Last couple of rehearsals have been 4-5 hours and a couple of hours in I've noticed a really nice tubey growl from my rig, all good except I've been using my Markbass Class D head and 210. So it could be the amp getting warm, maybe even the speakers, or perhaps the battery in my active Ibby getting saggy, or maybe even my ears getting tired... has been commented on by others though. Who knows?

As an aside I have found that it can be fun to watch the yellow Markbass cones, you don't get that from black cones with black surrounds :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Zbysek and BadExample like this.
  2. When your pussycat growls at you be afraid, be very afraid.

Wisebass, ficelles and ezra1 like this.
  3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Which Markbass head? Maybe you're pushing the threshold of the amp? I use a GK MB500 and it has a master and pre volume and when I push the boost channel it gets a nice growl when I push the pre on it.

4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Not pushing it, clip light only coming on occasionally and master only on 1/4 or so. It's a Little Mark 250 head. It's interesting that it's only after a couple of hours... I must measure the battery in the bass to see if it's low.

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I am getting really nice tubey growl from my rig (LM III and 2 traveler 102Ps) every time...

6. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Maybe it's just the nature of the beast. Highly unlikely it's your battery but anything's possible... If you like the tubey growl why not just enjoy it? :thumbsup:

rodl2005 and Zbysek like this.
  7. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I find by that stage in a jam I am often HAMMERING the strings in an attempt to stay on an equal footing volume wise with a warmed up drummer and guitars. I set my LM2 to JUST clip when I hit it hard at the START of rehearsal, but a few songs in, we get to rockin, and the clip LED may as well be a night light :)

Zbysek likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, I've gotten a similar vibe out of the Markbass micros and pretty much every micro I've ever played that they all have a little undercurrent of light sag that reminds me of a tube amp being slightly pushed. But then again, it could be the battery in your bass :D