1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nice vid with Harmony H-22 RI Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Avalon, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I don't know/recognize any names in this vid except for Nick Lowe's (wasn't he with Rockpile a 'while' back?), but I thought it was nice to see the bass and here it used in a rehearsal.

Thoughts?

By the way, I'm assuming that this is a re-issue based on what I can see of the tuners. Pipe in and correct me if this is actually an original.

Wilco, Nick Lowe & Mavis Staples rehearse "The Weight" - YouTube

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Wow, shivers down my spine and I'm wiping the tears from my eyes as I type. That's some powerful music.

Nick Lowe Indeed, saw him backing Wilco up last summer. He was a revelation; I've loved him over the years, with Rockpile and his solo albums. He's performing solo these days, withi his superb lyrics, magnificent delivery and great mature voice and stunning acoustic guitar. True master in his prime.

That looks like an original Kay, the RI has the big headstock with the '50's fridge ornament on it. incredible sounding basses, sit right under the mix, fat huge and clear.

BTW that's the legend Mavis Staples from the Staple Singers, and Wilco, one of the first and best known so-called 'Americana' bands, John Stirrat on bass. Staple Singers had a huge hit with their version of The Band's song, and are best known for 'I'll Take You There'.

edited to add: Just pulled out my Harmony because of this clip, I haven't played it it ages. Nothing sounds quite like this bass, between the smoothness and wide range of the PUP, with the biggest cushiony bottom and zero mud. Lots of air in the sound, going high on the neck is a pleasure, almost acoustic guitar-like but with plenty of low end still there. I love how the bass sits in a mix with Chrome flats, right underneath and out of the way of the other instruments while still being supportive. Extraordinary PUPs these DeArmonds.

3. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Wow, Nice Video seems like some of the better things happen unrehearsed ..

4. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Hey, thanks for responding with their histories. It's a nice jam they go going on back there.

Lucky dog if you own an original Harmony. With the re-issue, I don't believe that the head stock looks different from the original. Is it possible you're confusing the Kay re-issues with the Harmony re-issue? And anyway, I wouldn't mind having both of them if I could.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You are right, I was confused (nothing new there)!

edited to add: with some help of a previous thread, and a good look at pictures of the RI, I'm pretty sure Stirratt is using the RI in this clip. The tuners look like the new ones, the knobs are all the same white (on the originals the knobs have faded to cream but the switch stays white), and the yellow part of the sunburst goes a bit farther up, to a point, instead of completely round like on the originals, ending just at the PUP instead of below it.

I've played a bunch of Kays as well ( a friend has many, including one Lee Sklar owned). Both sound great, the Kays being thumpier and growlier, the Harmonys more full range and smoother (though there is some nice growl there, especially on the E string). Both are quite dark sounding, amazing for Blues, etc.

6. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    If the Kevin Gordon Band ever comes to your town, go see them. Their killer bassist plays a Harmony (vintage). Great gutbucket rootsy rock trio.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Nice little Mini SVT in there as well... I just got my YepRoc mailer and they featured thi vid... Wow!!

-robert