Nice when you don't need to audition someone...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hrodbert696, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

So I've been working at putting a new cover band together. Except it's not really completely "new." The drummer and the singer are from my old band - my first gigging band - that collapsed a couple of years ago. We agreed this would be a new launch rather than just reviving that, though it looks like we'll pick up maybe a third of the old song list to jump start from.

That left us with the guitar slot to fill. I was worried about that. Been through the CL thing, both auditioning myself and using it to find people. There were a couple of guitarists the singer knew, but neither was available. I shot out an email to another guy that I knew in the area. He plays with a band that's been together for ten years but only gigs about once a month and he wants to do more, so it turned out, yes, he's up for it. He and I have kept on having near-misses over the last four years or so. There was a trio project that last about a month before the drummer quit to join another group, there was a project I was starting with a keys/player singer that this guitarist auditioned for, but the keys player didn't want him, and he showed up as a sub for this first gigging band I mentioned.

So we had the first rehearsal with everyone last night, sat around the table and talked for a while, both getting to know each other and band business, then went in the drummer's music room and jammed. Couldn't have asked for it to go better. Everything wasn't squeaky-clean polished, of course. But after two or three runs, each song pulled together pretty decently. He's not a shredder or anything but the leads were there where they needed to be. Everyone got along. As it turns out, he owns a sub (the drummer has a PA but that's the one thing that was missing), and does most of the booking for his other band so he knows the venues in the seacoast area. Huge asset!

Sometimes it seems like things are too easy. Hope I didn't just jinx it.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don't think you jinxed it.

Look at it this way, you have a drummer and bass player that can work together. That's 80% right there. And also a "known good" quantity for your vocals. All that needs to be done is fold in the melody instruments at that point. And the guy you got for that isn't a complete unknown either.

Then you did two very important things: First, you did a little jamming to see if you could all work together. Then you had a sit down to discuss business and personal goals right up front to be sure everybody's on the same page.

So...you've got the pieces. They all fit. You've got a plan. And you all agree you want this to happen...

Right now, I don't see how it can fail unless somebody deliberately screws it up down the road.

Good luck!

drummer5359 and hrodbert696 like this.
  3. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Good to hear you were able to form a group again! Always good when things piece together well.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a very auspicious beginning :)

BassCliff and hrodbert696 like this.
  5. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    We need videos of the first gig.:bassist:

6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Nice story, I'm sure things will work out. I'm reminded of my last audition, back in January. Walked in, said hello, we played the five songs they'd asked me to prepare, and they offered me the gig. Just like that. They seemed like nice people, so I said "Give me a night to think about it." The next day I called and said I was theirs except for a half-dozen nights with a singer-songwriter project that was wrapping up. Had my first gig with them in March, and it's been off to the races ever since. We're booked straight through to New Year's Eve 2016. Walk in the park, right? Later I found out that I was like the 25th or 26th bassist they'd auditioned. Why'd they pick me? Because I'd been pleasant in person and had actually bothered to learn the audition material. That's all! Funny world.

Again, best of luck with this, it is good to begin well.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

Will do. I'll definitely have someone use a Zoom recorder, but I'm hoping the group will agree to spring for a pro video early on. I'd like to really get the marketing on this right.

BassCliff likes this.
  8. stgabhas

stgabhas

Oct 5, 2010
    Iowa
    Any decent camera these days will have more than enough video quality, provided its shot on a steady tripod with good placement.
    I shoot live bands as a hobby, when I get to see one, and my iphone 6 does a decent job at it.
    Here is an example of a video I shoot (hand held) some time ago:

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021