1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nicest 70's style Jazz 5-string for around $1K ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Wondering what all of your opinons would be on the nice 5-string (34in or 35in scale) doesn't matter 70's style jazz bass would be for around $1K.
    I was looking at the DJ Lakland Skyline, KSD, Marcus Miller 5. But maybe there's others that I don't know of.
    Any recomendations?

I would probably prefer a natural finish (Ash) w/ maple board w/ white block inlays if possible. Looking for overall best tone and quality craftsmanship. Active/Passive doens't matter.

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The Valenti on the Classified board looks pretty darn nice to me! If it were a 4 string I wouldn't think twice about buying it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the Lakland DJ.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    A Fender American Jazz Deluxe 5 with an ash board will also do the trick nicely, but the Marcus is the only late-'70s correct here, with the right closer-to-the bridge, bridge pickup placement.

5. The previous Yamaha BB series [Nathan East body style] are available in 5's and are basically a J-bass. They go for a few hundred on 'bay - toss a couple hun more in for upgrades and they make a pretty sweet instrument. At the higher end of the scale are the Yamaha TRB series but they are more like a J on steroids.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Lakland DJ5

7. GRoberts

GRoberts

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I own a Lakland DJ5 and I am really impressed with it. I especially appreciate its value. The white block inlays and matching headstock are sweet touches and make it an even more incredible value. The Aero pick ups are punchy and sweet too! VAll in all, it is a very impressive bass, especially for the money.

I would think a Lakland JO5 is more of a 60's sounding jazz in comparison to a Lakland DJ5 which has more of a 70's tone, but on steroids. (IMHO). The Aero pick ups are really quite amazing. I've never been so happy with passive pick ups. I would love to hear this bass with a J Retro Active Pre. I'll bet that adds some special Mojo.

8. Thanks! I figured the DJ5 would be at the top of the list.

9. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    cbs fendar

10. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Props to Verne Andru. I haev a BB series(the older) and Im getting around to new pickups, but its a very nice instrument and easy to play. Im sure youd be well under a grand if you mod one of those.

11. Thanx yamdigame. I put a set of Q-Tuner BXXL's in mine and wouldn't trade it for the world. Well balanced, solid hardware and super playable neck.

12. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Yeah i got mine at this sale at GC for $260 with a gig bag, and its the BB605, If you could find one of those on ebay, it has deffinite improvements over a jazz bass, and it has a passive active switch so either way you cnat go wrong