Nicest bassist you ever met?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    For me it was probbaly ryan from mudvayne. I seen him twice and both times i watched sign over a 100 autographs each time and smile and take pictures and answer questions and hes no slouch live so i know he must be really tired afterwards.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Mark Meadows, the bassist from the current Edgar Winter Group. Nice guy, great bassist, and a pretty good backup singer.
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Gard, Pick, Hambone, & the rest of the gang that came to Orlando back in September for the FL TB get together. They were some of the nicest and coolest guys you could ever meet.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Aww. I'm all verklempt now. :oops:

I have to say Jazzbo's the nicest bassist I know whose gig I have yet to see. (looking forward to it too)

Of the ones I have seen live and met afterwards, I gotta go with Michael Manring, Kai Eckhardt and Victor Wooten.

Nathan East might be great too, but I didn't want to be one of those pesky fans with him for some reason. He's a totally different kind of giant.

Billy Sheehan endured my too long handshake very graciously. Gotta give him props too.
  5. Well, I was only 3 when I met him, but during The Whos Farewell tour, My parents ran into John Entwhistle in New York , and got a picture of him holding me, and his signature. Its on the wall in my old bedroom at my parents house. I dont remember ofcourse, but my parents said he was incredibly nice and charming.
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I've hung out with Billy Gould (Faith No More), he's a cool dude (and saved my wife and I from certain disaster while we were vacationing in San Francisco!)

I've also talked with Doug Pinnick (King's X) a few times, he's also a real nice guy.

Bassists are nice guys in general I've found. :D
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Met Will Lee.
    Great guy. very layed back cool to talk to.
  8. dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    I got to hear the whole story behind the Gould incident.
    Give it up.
  9. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Victor. On Monday.
    Blew my mind on stage, and then was the nicest, most gracious guy off stage. He lived up to any hopes you might have in someone you admire.

Check it out:
    I'm the tubby white guy with the giant grin.
    adi77 likes this.
  10. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    i cant say i ever met an unfriendly bassist the guys ive meet and spoken with are

Stu hamm....very cool really down to earth (he told us all a story about when he met flea on the golf course.....)

gary willis...also cool great dry sense of humor

doug wimbus...really layedback easy going,must be all those trippy noise's he likes to make that keep him so mellow ;)

alain caron....totally cool he even thanked me for buying his music and supporting him!

Billy Sheehan...he's cool even if he did try and hit on my girlfriend(and pretty much every other woman in the room)
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    My wife used to do some website work for him years ago.

Anyway we were on vacation several years ago, pretty much taking a road tour trip of the southwest, and when we got to SF we found that the hotel had given away our room (apparently there was a convention that week and rooms were hard to come by.) She managed to get ahold of him and he managed to hook us up with a room at a different hotel, saving us from having to sleep in the car or something. ;) Anyway, he took us out for Chinese the next day, and we hung out at his house for awhile, and he showed me around his home studio (which was featured in an old issue of Bass Player.)

Kinda wish I kept in touch, I think he's moved to Portugal or Brazil or something now. My wife kinda lost touch with him in the upheaval.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Brian Bromberg is a real personable guy. We trade emails.
    Doug Wimbish
    Larry Graham
    Stu Zender
    Bill Dickens - I tried to tell him that he inspired a technique that I invented after I got to jam with him 3 years earlier, and he refused to take any of the credit.
    Adam Nitti is a great friend.
    Wil Dog from Ozo. We call each other's cell phones and leave stupid messages.
    Brian Beller is a GREAT guy!
    Dale Titus
    Beaver Felton
    Vic Wooten
    Khari Simmons (India.Arie) is not only one of my best friends, but he is insanely humble!
    Jauqo lets me steal licks!
    Everyone here!
    Bootsy is a friggin' riot!
    Aston Barrett told me that my drummer and I get it. We understand the "riddum". :bassist: :cool:
    And of course, Za Williams, my personal Mel Bay!
  13. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Muzz Skillings (Living Colour), Kip Winger (Winger/Alice Cooper), Guy Pratt (Madonna, Toy Matinee, Pink Floyd etc), Juan Croucier (Ratt), Mark King (Level 42) and Billy Sheehan are all really nice guys! :)

But the one that stands out is Tiran Porter (ex- Doobie Brothers)! What a great guy.... and he LOVES talking bass gear! He has G.A.S. just like the rest of us and owns some pretty amazing gear!
    I am proud and privileged to not only call him an influence and a hero.... but now one of my BEST friends! :bassist:
  14. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mike Watt and Darrin Huff. :)
    Leonerd likes this.
  15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    The two times I've met Les Claypool after shows, he's been really nice. A few have had bad experiences meeting him, but I found him down to earth and a cool guy :)
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Whoops, forget to list Beaver Felton in my list above.
  17. Carol Kaye, Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Christan McBride, James 'Hutch' Hutchinson.........he is very, very kind, but all of Bonnie's band is very polite with Fans. Sir Paul, Will Lee, Debbie Hastings, she very sweet also! Dann Glenn, Flea, Marcus Miller, Ron Carter, Sting, Geddy Lee.........

Off the top of my head these are the nicest I can think of right now. I know there are more but......... :meh: