1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nick Blacka interview on DDB

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Papageno, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Papageno

Papageno

Nov 16, 2015
    France
    Geoff Chalmers has posted a nice interview Nick Blacka (GoGo Penguin) on the YouTube channel of Discover Double Bass.

DougDog, marcox, Seanto and 2 others like this.
  2. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I'm watching their Tiny Desk Concert now. Nick sounds great.

Seanto and Fretless55 like this.
  3. DougDog

DougDog

Sep 19, 2019
    I came across it yesterday. I really liked his performance piece. Nice tone, and good intonation. I've been looking for links to his gear and string setup. Nothing as of yet. Please share if one sees anything. Thnx

4. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Geoff Chalmers, the man behind Discover Double Bass, usually replies to comments on their YouTube videos. That'd be one way to learn more about Blacka's gear.

geoffbassist and DougDog like this.
  5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    GoGo Pengiun has really grown on me over the past couple of years. Great interview and solo performance!

geoffbassist likes this.
  6. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I’m glad you enjoyed it. I loved the performance at the end, such a cool piece.
    We also filmed a gear interview which should be out in early October.

marcox, Seanto, DougDog and 2 others like this.
  7. DougDog

DougDog

Sep 19, 2019
    Thank you, Geoff, for all you do.
    If only I could have had Discover Double Bass forty years ago when I first learned the bass. Maybe I would have stayed with it. I was a Music Ed major in voice , but I also played the upright bass. The only problem was there really wasn't a bass performance instructor with which to study.
    In this time of Covid, I decided to go back to what brought me joy. I picked up a Yamaha EUB to get my feet wet. I've already purchased Lauren Pierce's Thumb Positioning course as that was my weakest link.
    Thanks again, I will keep my eyes open for Nick Blacka's October surprise.

geoffbassist and marcox like this.
  8. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Thanks for chiming in, @geoffbassist. I tried to tag you but couldn’t remember your screen name. Love all the recent videos!

geoffbassist and DougDog like this.