Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Oct 11, 2002.

1. :eek:

Anybody else hear this guy?

I've never heard one voice and one guitar sound so good.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I loved Nick Drake for a very long time.....he was one of those forgotten artist that influenced a ton of singer-songwriters! It took a Volkswagon T.V. spot for people to rediscover him:(

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got all his albums - one of the best and very sad that he died so young.

It's not all just him on his own - so his albums have some great musicians as well - like Richard Thompson and Danny Thompson.

And some great orchestrations - like "River Man" - one of my favourite tracks.

I think Bryter Later is may favourite - this has some nice instrumentals as well as vocal tunes and has Jazz/Blues as well as Classical/Folk influences.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Nick Drake is great. VW deserves some sort of award for reintroducing him to the world.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I've never seen the ad mentioned - but I would never forget Nick Drake's music! :rolleyes:

6. You like Bryter Later better than Pink Moon?

That suprises me for some reason. They are certainly both amazing albums, but the more stripped down, personal stuff always gets me more.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - it is happier (slightly) and much more catchy - I listen to it a lot and it is always on my "playlist" whereas Pink Moon is more depressing and I rarely get it out.

My favourite all-time track/song, though is "River Man".

8. I agree that Bryter Later is catchier and more upbeat, but that's why I prefer Pink Moon.

Suit yourself, I guess.

My favourite has to be Things Behind The Sun.

9. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    I heard 'Mayfair' in a commercial a few months ago.. the name of the company escapes me at the moment, but i'm pretty sure it dealt in insurance.

Been Smokin' Too Long is definitely my favorite of his songs. his style made for a great blues song..