Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nick Fyffe. you know, that guy who no one likes much

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by basstastic, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Okay, he's no zender, and Jay may be watering him down. But, I still think he is good, and he was very good live. Plus he has the most wonderfully synthetic sounding tone. Opinions?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nick is an excellent bassist.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm sure that no-one on TalkBass doubts that Nick is great bassist - he must be just to have got the Jamiroquai gig. I think the reason that some of us bassists prefer the older Jamiroquai material, with Stuart Zender on bass, is that Zender had a lot of creative freedom with regard to his basslines. He was able to expand on a bassline and improvise within a song. As Jamiroquai have moved into a more disco/dance sound, Jay Kay is running a much tighter ship (by "tight", I mean that Jay Kay is definitely in complete control), and the basslines in the new music are probably largely dictated by what Jay Kay or Toby Smith wants.

I've seen Jamiroquai live with both Zender and Fyffe, and there's no doubt that NF is a great bassist.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh definately. There's a HUGE difference between the pre and post Zender Jami. No contest, but like you said, that's Jay's fault.

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i like the Fyffe!

thanks to him i got GAS for a ZON (after watching the Woodstock show)

6. i saw jamiroquai live recently and Nick was cool! he is such a good player, stu was/is good and nick is right up there with him!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Anybody that saw the Woodstock broadcast knows Nick is a serious player! Jayson Kay is just a egoed out idiot......he should unshacke Nick, and make good records again! Just my two pennies:)

8. I have no doubt he's great, I saw his performance on a live show this year...all cool, but something misses... They played Emergency on Planet Earth and at one point Nick had a slap solo as did Zender on that song and Zender's rythim was incredible...you could almost dance to it...and with nick it was...well, nothing special...you know what I mean? Well, that's just an example of what I miss in jamiroquai. When will we see Zender again???

9. Ok this is slightly off topic, but this rhythm Zender has, that Fyffe doesnt... how do you practice that? Do you have to be born with it, or do you guys know any tricks. I'm very interested in this, but it's hard to make people understand what you mean. Hope you do!

Lars

Besides that I have to say that the newest Jamiroquai 'a funk odyssey' is really good, and so is N. Fyffe's playing, but I must agree on what 4fatstrings said: There IS something to Zenders playing that Fyffe's missing. But what is it?????

10. zombieE

zombieE

Feb 19, 2002
    Keflavik, Iceland
    Jamiroquai fans! *attach*

Nick Fyffe is a great bassist, but Stuart Zender had... I don't know, a certain sparkle to his technique that Fyffe just doesn't have. It's hard to explain, but if you're a Jam fan, you can tell who's playing just by listening.

11. as a huge Jamiroquai fan, I have to say that I love the playing of both Fyffe and Zender. Jamiroquai was a different band when Zender was playing, and they have evolved into more of a dance band.

I actaully dont think that Jamiroquai now, need to many lines like Stu's. Stu's lines are amazing and fun to play, but I still get incredible enjoyment out of listening and playing NIck's stuff.

I think my Jamiroquai tattoo signifies the fact that I like all Jamiroquai!