1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NICK LOWE ! !! !!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Godfather, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Godfather

Godfather

Feb 4, 2001
    When I saw the thread about singing bass players, he immediately popped into my head.....

where is the love for this genius ?....aside from his incredible songwriting, the man can play !.....not much heard about him here on TB....

nixdad, GregC and Eyesee7 like this.
  2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I didn't know he was a bass player. Anyway, he seems to be making a successful comeback. He really pulls it off as an old guy still doing great songs. I saw him playing solo on Austin City Limits a year or two ago, and it was very enjoyable.

nixdad and GregC like this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    When I was 17 (which was when Nick was pretty much in his prime), I had a pretty interesting punk band going on. I was a guitar player then. The Team | Free Music, Tour Dates, Photos, Videos. We were in negotiations with Columbia records and doing some recordings at CBS studios. Nick Lowe was going to be a guest artist on our album, and we were working on a song he had written that I still don't think was ever recorded. All we knew of Nick was, "Cruel to be Kind", and we were actually cruel about the idea of him working with us, cuz well... at 17, recording on their dime at CBS studios, we were rockstars. That notion and lots and lots of drugs that the other guys were doing took us not so far into the world of fame we believed we were already a part of. :)

I still don't think I ever listened to anything of his, but will now. I remember getting batted over the head with the fact that he was a seriously talented dude, and a lot cooler (and more talented) than his cruel to be kind success would suggest. I'm gonna pull me up some Nick Lowe videos today. Thanks for the reminder.

nixdad likes this.
  4. monkeyking

monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gotta love Nick! If for nothing else, just the album title "The Jesus of Cool" is great all by itself.

nixdad likes this.
  5. yeah, definitely check out some Rockpile stuff... Nick Lowe & Dave Edmunds together make some nice sounds....

nixdad and GregC like this.
  6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I saw him twice with Rockpile, once with him headlining and once with dave Edmunds in that role. Great pop songwriter that he was, his more recent songwriting and singing is so brilliant and mature, and he is a riveting performer, as I found out from his Montréal gig last summer. Most people came to see Wilco, but you could hear a pin drop through Lowe's entire set (except for the explosive applause after each song), just him and his acoustic. Very powerful stuff, he deserves his place in the sun once again.

Wasn't 'Jesus of Cool' released in North America as 'Pure Pop For Now People'? So it goes...

GregC likes this.
  7. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    Jesus of cool aka. Pure pop for now people.

The tune. "I love the sound of breaking glass "

GregC likes this.
  8. Nick's early solo releases are great.

Nick + Rockpile = some pretty amazing pub rock. Rowdy, shameless tip of the hat to their many influences, top-shelf songwriting and performances.

Anything that Dave Edmunds did that had Nick's fingerprints on it is also worth checking out. Okay, anything that Dave Edmunds did is worth checking out, but Nick Lowe's production and performances on those tracks is icing on the cake.

And of course Nick produced a couple of seminal Elvis Costello albums.

GregC, oren and Eyesee7 like this.
  9. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Pure Pop for Now People is one of my favorite albums ever. Of his later work, I think The Impossible Bird is fantastic as well.

I always got a kick out of this song, too. It's from one of those old Stiff Records compilations:

i love my label nick lowe - YouTube

GregC likes this.
  10. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    He also wrote 'What's So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding', which was a huge hit for Elvis Costello.

I have that Stiff Compilation on vinyl, as well as some singles from the era, and a picture disk or two. Porky Prime Cuts.

GregC likes this.
  11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Oh wow, any of you who don't have the Rockpile album, that is absolutely required listening for anybody who wants to discuss rock and roll (and you need a version that adds their version of the Elvis tune "Little Sister" with Robert Plant from the concert for Kampuchea). Burning.

Beyond that, you have to get John Hiatt's album "Bring The Family" with Nick, Jim Keltner and Ry Cooder recorded pretty much live to 24 track. They did an album under the name "Little Village" which is good as well, but that Hiatt album is magic. Hiatt was completely at the end of his rope, career- wise and in his personal life, and his buddies chipped in magnificently.

The thing that actually made Nick Lowe's fortune- the thing that actually allowed him to purchase a house for the first time- was the Curtis Stigers' version of "Peace Love & Understanding" on the Bodyguard soundtrack selling astronomical numbers because of "I Will always Love You" by Whitney Houston. It's horribly cheesy, but I suppose one has to applaud it if it allows one of the great contributors to British pop to finally get a big payday after 25 years in the business.

GregC likes this.
  12. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Huge Rockpile fan! Was lucky enough to be toiling in the mailroom of ATI, the booking agency of the whole Stiff roster and other Riviera/Robinson bands, and had the incredible fortune of being able to see Lowe many times when he was playing pretty much only bass live. Often used 8 strings, usually Hamers when I saw him, and he was always a joy to hear and see. A great bassist! And a great singing bassist. And he has wonderful albums in every era right to the present. I can't believe it's been 18 years since one of my favorite albums came out, Lowe's "The Impossible Bird" with one of my all time favorite songs, "Where's My Everything". It still sits on my CD player pile!

"Bang it down, tart it up" indeed!!!!

GregC likes this.
  13. GreenWithEnvy

GreenWithEnvy

Dec 20, 2011
    Just saw Nick with Wilco a few months ago. He's still great. Also saw Rockpile in Detroit all those years ago. He's an amazing artist. My favorite production of his is the Pretenders remake of Stop Your Sobbing by the Kinks.

GregC likes this.
  14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I don't know...I've posted plenty of Nick pics and chimed in on several discussions here over the years. I'm a big "Basher" fan. Here's a few more.
    nickLOWE22.
    nicklowe.

GregC likes this.
  15. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Exactly what I was going to mention. His bass parts on those songs are great. I love the groove he and Keltner get on "Memphis in the Meantime" and the original "Thing Called Love".

I love the bassline on "I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass" as well.

16. normalized

normalized

Jun 25, 2009
    san francisco
    Nick is great and everyone seems to still have Nick on the brain, just went to the last "One night stand" event here in SF (every year local musicians get together to do covers for charity). There was a Nick band where Chuck Prophet was in where he sang "heart of the city".

I myself was in a short lived STIFFS records cover band that did a couple of classic STIFF era Nick tunes which was great fun.

Saw him and Elvis Costello a couple of years ago doing each other's songs which was a benefit for the Richard De Lone Special Housing fund. Remember Nick doing Elvis's song better than the other way round. Especially his version of "Indoor Fireworks". There's also some amazing Rockpile boots where the band is just smoking.

GregC likes this.
  17. I used to include "When I Write The Book" in my solo act. It always got a lot of positive comments and questions about the artist. Yet another coulda-been hit in a more perfect world.

I always wanted to get one of my bands to do "Play That Fast Thing One More Time." Hasn't happened yet. Further proof I play music with the wrong people.

GregC and Eyesee7 like this.
  18. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Big fan of Nick's since the Rockpile days. "Seconds of Pleasure" is on my desert island record list. He's not at all flashy as a bassist, but always right there where he needs to be, and very musical. Nick is a giant.

But I really didn't care for "At My Age."

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't know any of Nick's music other than "Cruel To Be Kind", but I've always wanted to check him out since first seeing a picture of him with that Hamer 8-string bass 30-some years ago.

Any good recordings that feature Nick playing that bass?

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Check the "Labour Of Lust" album.
    (see cover detail)
    NickLowe-LabourOfLust_20110118_140401.