Nick Oliveri and Richard Bona

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Para_Ebola, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Para_Ebola

Jul 25, 2002
    hi. I've only been playing bass for a few weeks so perhaps my opinion doesn't have much weight(tho i've been playing guitar and other instruments for several years), but i thought i'd just highlight the greatness of these two bassists, as i saw they hadn't been given any mention on the boards thus far. After seeing both of them live withing weeks from each other(oliveri plays for queens of the stone age), i decided to buy a bass. Nick creates amazing grooves, somewhat similar to the bassist who played in The Jimi hendrix Experience, and Bona does things i never believed an instrument with 4 strings could do.

what are your thoughts?

what gear do they use?
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    don't know about Bona but Olivieri is a gerat rock'n roll bass player! i interviewed him a cople of time, he use different Precision bass. sometime PJ of J. usually he uses Fender Precision, he used to play Squier too. Amps are Ampeg. i have seen him using old SVT, he has a particular way to use the cabinets he anlges the cabs quite one in front of the other to have a boomy sound.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Richard Bona has been mentioned many many times on these boards - a search would find these threads. When I've seen him, he has often been playing a 5-string!! ;)