Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nick Olivieri Equipment

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Oct 25, 2004.

1. I really like this guy. His lines really fit the song and are really catchy. I think he has cool tone too. Does anyone know what amps he uses? I'm pretty sure he uses Fender J's, but just not sure on amps. Thanks everyone.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ampeg amps and Fender Precision basses.

3. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I know that Queens of the Stone Age used Ampeg pretty heavily. If you were fortunate enough to get "Songs for the Deaf" with the bonus DVD, there is some live footage that shows their equipment.

He used a Fender p bass with the headstock spray-painted black. It looks like he used SVTs or the V-4BH cranked way up. He had two 8x10s that were not pointed directly at the crowd, probably because they were so loud. There is studio footage also that shows him using a Jazz bass.

His tone sounds fuzzy yet growly at the same time, so those tubes were workin' hard. :bassist:

4. outpatient

outpatient

Oct 26, 2004
    Dallas.Tejas
    I agree they were working super hard...to bad that he's no longer in the band because of friction with Homme.

I read that they are mending the relationship so hopefully he'll be back one of these days.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    From what I've read, Josh said Nick had become a "Tornado" and he hated having to always fix what Nick had done. Maybe Nick was in "punk" mode too much, if you catch my drift. Acting like he was in the Sex Pistols. They are reported to still be close friends, but it might be awhile until he is back in QOTSA.

New QOTSA album in March 2005!!!

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    He uses P, Jazz, and PJ basses through heavily overdriven Ampeg tube amps.

I love his tone.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  8. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Lol at nick!Soo true.But I hope nick gets back with Josh soon!

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    He uses I think an Ernie Ball(?) Volume pedal to get some of that overdriven sound.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I guess the Dwarves have a new song out that tears into Josh Homme for turning on Nick. But I think it's B.S. putting drugs before the band... bad bad.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Without Nick its not QOTSA. I think it would been more acceptable if they said that the two split and that Josh is working on a project without Nick.

12. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I think Josh needs to figure out that hes not perfect too, I mean the dudes been in like 4 bar fights since Nick left.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

No doubt, hell, I didn't even know that Nick sang on some of the tracks. I assumed Josh had insane range. But then I got rated R and they actually CREDIT people on that album. :eyebrow: Hmm, I wonder why that changed. I really dig Nick's "scream my ass off" vocal style, and his normal singing voice is pretty cool too (Autopilot).

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I didnt realize he was signing on Autopilot.

I knew he was the one behind the "kill your mom" songs though.

15. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    He sings on autopilot?? I love that song!

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    If you think that it is not QOTSA without Nick, then what do you have to say about the self-titled first album. I will miss Nick's influence, but it is still QOTSA because QOTSA existed before he was in the band.

I still think they will re-unite, though. :bassist:

17. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Actually, most of the low vocals on Songs For the Deaf are Mark Lanegan, not Nick. Nick sings on a few of the songs, though.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Nick did the screamy crazy tracks though and Autopilot which are the ones Matt mentioned.

19. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Yup, those would be the ones I was referring to. It was really cool to have an album with 3 distinctive vocalists.