Nick Seymour of Crowded House appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ndrly, May 21, 2009.

1. So, I've recently started listening to Crowded House, a childhood favourite of mine, and I thought to myself, "Hey, Nick Seymour's a good bassist". In fact, I thought I'd learn the song "Instinct" by ear, as there were no tabs online (though I might be able to make one)

Tell us what you think of his style, or of Crowded House in general. Commentary about Split Enz or Neil Finn solo is welcome too.

2. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    +10 on Crowded House. First of all, you got the Finns. If that were all, it'd be enough.

But wait, there's more!!!

3. Anything with Neil Finn I pretty much like. Similar deal with Tom Morello.

4. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    #1,love the finns,(split enz,anyone?) and crowded house. nick plays deceptively simple sounding melodic bass lines,and that isn't all that easy to do song after song! while simultaneously singing great vocals .....

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I like his playing and tone, and he had nice things to say about Dee Murray.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  6. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    I love crowded house and the Finn Brothers, and neil Finn solo stuff.
    The best stuff is the live CD / DVD "7 Worlds collide". Amazing. Neil Finn with the bassists of Soul Coughing, the drummer and guitarist of radiohead, and Eddie Vedder singing on a few tracks

7. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I am a huge Finn and associated acts fan. I started out as a Crowded House fan because as an American of my age, I'd just never heard of Split Enz. So being that I was listening to CH before I ever had thought to become a bassist, I didn't listen to Nick's work individually. I had just been listening to the sound of the band as a whole.

Later when I became a bass player (4 and a half years ago), I discovered Split Enz (adore Nigel Griggs as a musician) for the first time, and I started listening to Crowded House all over again with new ears.

Anyhow, I went to a CH show in Portland, Oregon on Labor Day weekend in 2007. After the show, I had the pleasure of talking to Nick about bass, and the one nugget of advice he left me is that the chorus should stay the same but that the verses should all be subtly different in whatever part you play. I thought that was kind of cool.

My love of Spectors comes directly from Nigel, and Nick also played a Spector in the 80s. He's a Fender man now.

FeltTipPen and Kubicki Fan like this.
  8. Big John66

Big John66

Feb 12, 2008
    I got to see Crowded House live right after the first record came out, before any of the hits took off. They were the opening act for somebody like Bryan Adams, maybe. I was blown away by the great tunes, the great live vocals, and how tight the bassist and drummer were. I have been a huge fan since.

FeltTipPen and Steve Boisen like this.
  9. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    I loved Nick's bass tone before I even knew what bass was ;-)

Oh, and Neil Finn's voice... Such a great singer!

... and great songwriting!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    FeltTipPen likes this.
  10. Really enjoy Crowded House. Before bass guitar was in my radar I met Nick Seymour at a promo event and he autographed my Woodface cd. Super nice guy.

I love how his bass supports CH songs. One of my favorite CH basslines is "That's What I call Love" from the first album.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021