1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nickel C+F strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I have an unused set of Dunlop nickels for a 4; I'd like to add a C & F to throw on my sixer & tune EADGCF. Does anyone know where I can get singles like this? They don't have to be Dunlops, but I'd like to stay all-nickel.
    BTW, I did a brief search, but I'm very busy looking at funny stuff in OT. :)

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The smallest gauge Dunlop "Nickel Plated Steel" string they make is a .030

For the F string you can use a .020 or .018 plain steel string of any brand. Plain steel is plain steel.

If you want a wound string (which .020 is going to be the smallest) there are only a couple of brands that make them.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Wound and plain steel single bass strings here: Circle K Strings - Single Strings - All tensions,scales, gauges
    The wounds are nickelplated outer wrap around steel inner wraps. They don't sell wound Fs and their .025 will not tune up to F.

There are a few other brands of wound F available as .020 and .022 (possibly all steels? ... search under '7 string sets') but they are delicate due to having a thin core wire, if you want a strong bendable string go plain steel.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. Ya gotta love TB- way better than google. Thank you, gentlemen(or whatever you may be :D).