Nickel Lo-Riders vs. Ernie Balls or Slowounds or FatBeams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Did the search, and there's incredible little info on nickel Lo-Riders.

I know all the other strings mentioned, and like them all. What I need is warmth and bottom like Ernie Balls or Slowounds (discontinued, I know) and clarity like Fatbeams (not just hi-end sizzle, but clarity in all mid to upper frequencies) I've tried a lot of other strings (all DR's except nickel LR's, and others), and these seems to work best for me, but are not perfect. I play a Stingray 5 through SWR so I have enough hi-end. Any thoughts?

2. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    If you can handle the low tension, you should think about Thomastik-Infelds. Clarity throughout the sound range is one of their key features.
  3. Which T.I.'s do you mean? I've tried their Powerbass series and I was not very impressed. Tension was ok, but the sound was somewhat boring. I have them lying around, maybe I'll give them an extra shot.
  4. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm all about EB Slinky Hybrids on my StingRay4. I have a set of Lo-Riders on there right now, and I'm underwhelmed.
  5. Hehe ...could you descibe what you miss in the Lo-Riders compared to the EB's?
  6. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Soundwise, I miss the booty of the EBs. The DRs have a less defined low-end, to my ears. Their high-end has also been weird: lots of string noise, but not a very bright tone.

The feel of the DRs is different from the EBs. Tension is good, but the texture of the string is different in a very subtle way.

I think the DRs would sound and feel good on a P-bass, but they don't accentuate the positives of the StingRay.

I've tried Ken Smith Burners, GHS boomers, D'Addarios, DRs, Dean Markley Blue Steels, and I have never found strings that work for my playing on the StingRay like the EB Slinky Hybrids (orange pkging). Been using 'em exclusively for almost 10 years.
  7. Currently, my SR4 is strung w/med nickel lo-riders and Sterling w/light Sunbeams (they are nickel). IMO, DR is a superior string to EB in terms of sound/definition & feel. I prefer the tension of the Sunbeams and think they are fantastic! I guess personal preferences vary but can't believe anyone would go back to EB after trying DR's. I also run through SWR and also have SR5 (currently wearing Elixir Nanos).
  8. Thanks Boondog and Supermonkey.
    Boondog can you elaborate on the difference between nickel Lo-Riders and SunBeams. I've tried SB's and found them to be a little weak sounding, just as Hi-Beams. Both are nice strings but as Supermonkey I miss the booty of EB's or say FatBeams.
  9. IMO there's not much of a tonal difference between SB's and nickel LR's. I've never had both on the same bass and I'm A/B'ing my SR4 (LR's) & Sterling (SB's) right now (amped & acoustically) which also have tonal differences. I gotta say my slight preference is the SB's. A bit less tension (round vs hex core), great feel, quick/smooth/balanced response, and a nuetral low/mid/high balance that's easy to dial in most tones I like. Sorry I can't help more than that. Well, have I told you about the Nanowebs on my fiver yet?
  10. No, please do! :)

(Thanks for the other info)
  11. The Elixir Nanowebs are winning me over each day. I have the med/Light gauge on my SR5. They are low-med tension and are well balanced with a super smooth feel (like GHS fast fret w/no residue). I believe they sound as good as my DR's but lack only a little bit on the high end. Durability so far has been great. Heavy pick playing the last couple months and no shedding - they still sound like new strings. I may try the light gauge on my SR4 next (my slap bass).
  12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Carl, I have had several sets of the Nickel Lo Riders and they are nice and warm with nice clear low mids. I too have been thinking of moving to these full time. I am getting a little tired of the Extreem Zing I am getting from the DR Hi Beams and Fat Beams. I prefer SS Lo Riders to the others. I think that you have the right idea and you would find them what you are looking for.
  13. OK - I'm really hooked on trying these now. Actually what I'm after is the warmth of nickel, AND the brightness of steel. I like the way the SS zing sounds like the strings are breathing (I think it's what others call fingernoise ;) ) I've just dug out an old set of Blue Steels. I'm impressed how they sound acoustically and through my pc. I have yet to hear them amped, but I have high hopes.
    Bassically what I need is a warm punchy string, with tight lows and airy highs. ...And I I'm closing in on it thanks to you guys :)