1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nickel on Steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Apr 19, 2009.

1. im looking at the Rotosound nickel on steel strings. what are the advantages/disadvantages to these, and why are they about 5 bucks cheaper than other roto strings?

2. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    I am wondering the same thing. I have no experience with nickel on steel but I was thinking about trying a Rotosound set of them and I really want to know how they are in comparison to both nickel and steel strings. I know that Cliff Burton and Geddy Lee uses the nickel on steel Rotosounds I would really like some imput from someone with a little experience on nickel on steel rotosounds.

3. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    "Nickel on Steel"(as you put it )= Nickel Plated Steel. D'addario XL Nickelwound,Fender 7250's,Ernie Ball Nickel Roundwound,Dunlop Nickel Plated and GHS Boomers are all Nickel Plated Steel Strings. Cliff Burton and Geddy Lee used/use Rotosound Steel Strings.

4. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    WRONG !

5. omg, not what im asking, look at my original post please and thanks

6. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Lmao! I think you better check your sources mate. Geddy is famous for his rotosound steel sound. Also Chris Squier actually got in trouble with Rickenbacker for using steels, as all his fans copied him, then Rickenbacker had a stack of basses in for repair under guarantee as they used to make their fret wire out of soft stuff and roto steels are fairly rough. It was in Bassplayer a few months back.

I think your confusement could be down to the fact that rotosound steel swing 66 make a Nickel version of the same string, and dont call them a different name just 66 swing Nickel.

Just so your clear which strings are which this one is Steel http://www.gjsguitars.com/detail.jsp?pid=4023&id=1397&src=froogle

And this Nickel (plated or pure, the pack used to say pure on my last set around a year ago) of the same string http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/product_1268_Rotosound_RS66LDN_Roundwound_Nickel_45-105_2.html.

Hope that helped.

7. bimmer

bimmer

Nov 14, 2005
    I'm guessing you mean the Rotobass strings? Essentially the same as the Swingbass nickel sets minus the silk wound ends and some of the price tag. Advantages/ disadvantages depend on where you stand with the Rotsound sound and silk windings. Personally, I can't tell any difference between Rotobass and Swingbass nickels as far as sound, feel, tension or string life goes, so if they're in the shop I generally buy them in preference to Swingbass and save a few beer tokens.

8. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I guess they are cheaper because steel is more expensive than Nickel? :bag:, I have tried them, they are nice and have blue silk on them! Got to be a reason to buy them if your bass is blue or green or silver.

9. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Metallibass95....I don't think you know what you are talking about ! I would think,the Roto Nickels are more than likely priced lower, because they don't sell like the original steel Rotosound 66 Swing Bass sets...IMO. Steve

10. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    and I have never seen the blue package before and those are pure nickel. which on musiciansfriend they didn't have the pure nickel. they only had steel and nickel on steel. but I am wondering, I don't believe I have ever used nickel on steel before, but then again I use Ernie Ball slinkys and I think they are nickel plated or nickel on something, I just don't know what. But would there be a difference between the ErnieBall slinkys and the Rotosound nickel on steel?

11. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Please,somebody say this guy is joking ?

12. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    .......this would be a good time for him to say just kidding. Lets give him a chance to say that, then if he didnt say that, I could direct him to the Rotosound site ;) (hint DO IT hint!!! :p)

13. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Hint # 2, Rotosound site

14. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

I have been looking but still can't find the site, could someone give it to me please?

15. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    http://www.rotosound.com or http://www.rotosound.com/swing66.html for link to the swing 66 with Geddys name on the left. You could do a Google search for any of your fav players and it shouldn't be too hard to find their strings, all the following use steel 66 (orange pack)

John Paul Jones
    Geddy Lee
    Jaco
    John Entwistle
    Duff
    Sheehan, and plenty more.

16. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009

yeah it was kinda vague because all I could find on Geddy and Cliff was that they just simply used the brand Rotosound, the stuff I looked on didn't tell what type of strings or anything, thats why I was going by the pics. But thanks for the address man and i'll take a look at it.

17. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Please dont think I was getting mad! I was not at all or meaning to be a jerk, just trying to help, it was a little frustrating with two people trying to help you and you not listening to either of us. But I understand you might want proof, there should be plenty on Google and other threads on the forum.

18. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Not being a "jerk",you just didn't like what I was saying. No need for name calling now.

19. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    No problem, heres a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geddy_Lee. Look under equipment used bottom of the first paragraph.

Again glad to help.

20. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Fine with me..I ain't gonna lose any sleep..good luck..and please,stop the private messages if you don't want hear what I have to say. Peace