Nickel or Stainless steel strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HMZ, Jan 5, 2004.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What do you prefer nickel or stainless round wound strings.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm mostly a nickel guy, but I recently had a bass that sounded best with Labella Hard Rockin' Steels. On my P-bass, nickels sound very good; warm and thumpy.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nickels never seem to do it for me, so I keep using stainless steels (Pyramid Pyrasound .035-.095). Yummy tone.
  4. I only use nickel. SS is too bright and zingy for me.
  5. I definitely prefer the feel of nickels, although I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard getting used to steels if I made the effort. Haven't found a reason to change yet.
  6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I like the sound of steel but I like the feel of nickel. Easer on the fingers too.:p
  7. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I need angry stainless steel strings.
  8. What HMZ said!
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nickels feel smooth and silky under the finger tips, and dont rip 'em up half as bad as steel strings do.

tonally, i prefer the smoother sweeter tone of the nickels. but it should be a nice set of nickels. cant stand D'Addario. kinda too zingy. lots of high end if you like that in your sound.

i was a long time Labella Slappers user, but recently really dug this new set of prototype Sadowsky nickel strings that Roger put on my reverse PJ bass. compared to most strings both steel and nickel, these Sadowsky nickels seem to have a cool lower mid grunt! really impressive. my new fav string. hopefully, he'll put them into production soon.
  10. Cool Joker, thanks
    That's what is being installed on my new PJ/4 soon to be done in March....:D
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Nickel love the feel.
  12. ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    I can't stand stainless steel strings. It doesn't seem like the string material would make a huge difference in feel, so long as it's metal, but those stainless steels really tear up my fingers.
  13. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Nickel for me. Doesn't chew up your frets as fast as steel.
  14. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    To me the sound was more important than my fingers. My fingers have adjusted and ss strings does not bother me one bit or eat the frets on my basses. Nickels to me have a nice range of sound but lack that bite that I soo love in the live mix. That's why I play DR lowriders. This is just me speaking and I spent a fortune on strings trying them out but to me they have all great features of nickel and low end, but have that bite. If I were to play nickels it would be D'addario Slowwounds hands down.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have Warwick Red Label Stainless steels on my Godin. The tone is really nice. I havent had em long enough to comment on durability and lifespan though.
  16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Which D'Addario's dont you like? I'm using Slowounds, which imo aren't bright at all. If anything they're the warmest nickel round I've found.
  17. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I've been using Stainless steels for quite some time now and I've been considering switching to nickels, mainly because of the "clackiness" that I'm getting now.

Is my assumpting that nickels will remedy this correct?
  18. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Not in my experience. Clackiness comes from right hand technique in my experience. I personally like both SS and Nickel, but prefer Stainless. They last long and have great clarity.
  19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Exactly, nailed it man. I do use DR Nickel Lo RIders on my Fretless though.