Nickel or Stainless Steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kidd_Twist, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Kidd_Twist

Nov 25, 2000
    What's the differnce? Tone? Feel? Durability? All of the above? Any insights would help.
  2. I think that the difference is that stainless steel have a brighter sound, but they're more abrasive on the frets, or wood if it's a fretless, and on your fingers. Nickel isn't quite as bright as steel, but it's much easier on your bass and your fingers.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Steel strings give IMO a more "consistent" tone. But they're usually more expensive, so I always go nickel.
  4. I've used Stainless in the past, and I've settled on Nickel now, for the fret-wear thing. Sounds fine, feels fine, costs less.

D'Addario EXL165. <----- All you got to know. :D

5. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just bought a set of Nickel strings (Fender 7150s), and I noticed right away that there's not much difference in the sound, except that the Nickels sound a little bit better when slapped or popped on my J-bass than the stock Steels. The biggest difference I noticed was in the "feel" of the string. The Nickels seemed a bit "softer", or at least more flexible. Then again, that could be just because the strings I replaced were about a year old.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Same for me - but it's more about finger wear!