Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nickel or Stainless Steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kidd_Twist, Nov 26, 2000.

1. Kidd_Twist

Kidd_Twist

Nov 25, 2000
    What's the differnce? Tone? Feel? Durability? All of the above? Any insights would help.

2. I think that the difference is that stainless steel have a brighter sound, but they're more abrasive on the frets, or wood if it's a fretless, and on your fingers. Nickel isn't quite as bright as steel, but it's much easier on your bass and your fingers.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Steel strings give IMO a more "consistent" tone. But they're usually more expensive, so I always go nickel.

4. I've used Stainless in the past, and I've settled on Nickel now, for the fret-wear thing. Sounds fine, feels fine, costs less.

D'Addario EXL165. <----- All you got to know. :D

Chris

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I just bought a set of Nickel strings (Fender 7150s), and I noticed right away that there's not much difference in the sound, except that the Nickels sound a little bit better when slapped or popped on my J-bass than the stock Steels. The biggest difference I noticed was in the "feel" of the string. The Nickels seemed a bit "softer", or at least more flexible. Then again, that could be just because the strings I replaced were about a year old.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Same for me - but it's more about finger wear!