1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nickel or Steel for your hard-rockin' Stingray?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Nickel Roundwound

42 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Stainless Steel Roundwound

29 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. Carrot Iron Roundwound

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've cycled through quite a few sets of strings since I bought my EBMM Stingray. I started out with the stock Ernie Ball Slinkys (decent tone, too flimsy), then gave D'Addario ProSteels a try (bright, well-balanced, rough). Then, I tried D'Addario XLs (warmer, growly, smooth). Then, I used Rotosound Swing Bass 66 strings (rough, bright, growly).

Now I'm back to my old set of D'Addario XLs, which were hardly used. I loved them back then, and I love them more now. Nickel roundwounds seem to be the perfect match for Stingray-driven rock and metal, IMO. I love stainless steel, but they generally seem too bright for a Stingray, and dialing back the treble just isn't the same.

I'll still be experimenting with strings in the future, but I have yet to be happier than I am with D'Addario XLs.

So... what type of roundwound string do you prefer on your 'Ray for rock, alternative, metal, punk, thrash, etc.? Vote and explain!

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Personal pet peeve: most strings referred to as "nickel" are actually nickel plated steel. That's the kind I prefer on both my EBMM basses, although I do like nickel rounds on my Lull, very mellow strings but not like flats. DR Sunbeams, because I like my strings floppy.

I can't stand steel roundwounds. Feels and sounds like playing barbed wire.

3. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    That, I already knew :smug:

...wait, there's all-nickel strings out there? :confused:

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    ernie ball slinkies for me. love em. they get better with time. once they get too flimsy, then its time for a new set.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Oh hells yes!

[​IMG]

Very mellow stuff, I tried them on my Sterling and things didn't work out but on my Lull, it sounds like this dude looks: :cool: except that he's probably smoking as well because as everyone knows smoking makes you look cool and feel sexy.

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I voted Nickel and I prefer the Sadowsky Bright Nickels. They are bright like stainless, but also warm, fat, and wooly. Love them on my Ray.

7. surely that says nickel wound steel? not nickel wound nickel?

8. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yeah, nickel-wound steel. In other words, the wrap is all-nickel, as opposed to being a nickel-plated steel wrap (like on most strings).

A steel core is the standard for most strings, regardless of the wrap composition.

9. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    there are some pure nickel strings.(fender pure nickels) But you know that..
    the core is probably steel though

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Bump!

11. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    This is actually a question I'm still trying to figure out. On my 'ray I'm currently using Slinkys and they sound decent, but you're right, they're kind of flimsy feeling. I tried Rotosound Stainless steel rounds and they sounded nice when I wanted to play Cure covers, but the treble could be pretty hard to tame, and when rolled off their didn't seem to be much "oomph" underneath all that zing.

I've been considering some of the Labella roundwounds as I really like their flats, but I'm not sure which would best suit the stingray... between the Hard Rockin Steels (probably too zingy), the Deep Talkin Rounds (too mellow, I dunno?) and the Slappers (well, i don't slap... I'm a pick player, so who knows).

If anyone else has recommendations for stingray strings I'm very interested, as I'm just looking for a nicely balanced tone with some decent bass and treble but not too much of either.

12. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    Thats what I thought until I accidentally bought a set of SS DR low riders. :bassist:

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I've been thinking of giving Lo-Riders another shot. I last used them on my old EMG-loaded P/J bass (an upgraded beginner bass which I sold long ago), and they sounded great at the time.

I had some pretty good tones going with D'Addario ProSteels and my Stingray, but XLs and my 'Ray seem to be a much better match. I'm not even motivated to try other brands right now, to be honest!

I could imagine SS Rotosounds doing well on a passive P-bass, but they're too bright with a 'Ray, and they seem to lack the growl they're supposed to have. :meh:

I guess it's more of a high-mid growl, but they just weren't working for me and my GK rig.

14. lowfreek

lowfreek Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Central New York
    Stainless DR Lowriders on my 'Ray. For me they seem to last a long time, and they sound fantastic.

15. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Steel!

16. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I used SS DR Lo-Riders on my Bongo and the lo-mid growl they had was CRAZY! They are my favorite strings now. Going to try them on my Jaguar this weekend.

Also, they are not as bad on your hands as Rotosounds or Prosteels, but they are still SS. They are not soft, but they are much softer than any other SS string I've used and they sound great. I also like the extra tension for my brand of fingerstyle (moderately aggressive, with a splash of slapping and tapping thrown in every now and then).

I imagine these would kill on a 'Ray.

17. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    +1000. Excellent strings. All the warmth yet brilliance you expect from a nickel-plate string, with a far longer life than Fender or Ernie Ball.

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Once they mellowed out, I really liked Hi-Beams on my SR4.

I'm now trying a set of Fat Beams. Lo-Riders will come next.

19. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Update!

I may have spoken to soon when saying nickel-plated roundwounds were my favorites for the Stingray. I finally installed a set of stainless steel DR Lo-Riders on mine.

I'm really surprised - it's like what I remembered with my old Schecter, but better. :D

Lo-Riders are definitely an atypical stainless steel string, as they sound very different than what you might expect on a Stingray. Tons of low-mids and growl to match, with a bright (but not harsh) top end. They're also very stiff because of the hex core, which is to my liking. Overall, they compliment the tone of my 'Ray well, whether I'm playing fingerstyle or pickstyle. Even more surprising is that I am now able to better achieve the growl and overdrive I really want out of my amp.

I don't think I'll be changing these strings anytime soon. I do want to try out Hi-Beams, but I think they would probably better suit the P-bass I plan on buying eventually.

20. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I don't recall, but do the Lo Riders have a taper B in the 5 string set???

Thanks...