Nickel Rotos--Why are they not very popular?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dave120, Nov 2, 2005.

1. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I'm assuming they aren't since nowhere seems to keep them in stock on a regular basis, and the places that do have like one gauge of nickels and 4 or 5 of the stainless steel Rotos. I'm talking about the Nickel RS 66 Swing Bass with the blue silking.

Is there some reason for this I'm not aware of? I tried the stainless Swing Bass Rotos first and I like their sound a lot but they were ultra rough on the fingers and frets. So I tried the nickel version and the sound is similar (not QUITE as bright but still brighter than most) and they feel a lot nicer to play on, and even last a little longer before needing to be changed. I'm just curious why you never hear hardly anything about them. Gets to be a pain having to order them online all the time!
  2. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I'm thinking it might be that they 'are' so popular that they're always in demand and sold out. The Swing Bass line is like their flagship line, and plus I'm not sure Rotosound has a huge factory output like other brands. is great, but you probably already know about them. And They usually have them in stock.

I used to really like the nickel roundwound until I went to the Roto Monel flats, and...that's pretty much all I use now.

The reason I mention their output is that a few months back - quite a few - I ordered a set of the Monel medium scales and it was backordered for a month or so.

Best regards.
  3. According to the Rotosound site, the RB series are the same strings without the silks. I use the RB45's. SO unless you are dead set on having silk windings...

$16 at musicians friend, set up an account, make a few clicks, and they are sitting at your door in a few days.

I think their lack of use may stem from just being unknown - everyone thinks of RS66 Swing Bass stainless when you say Rotosound.
  4. Ladders

Oct 24, 2005
    I tried rotosound swing bass 66 nickel strings before I made the switch to stainless steel.

Whilst I was putting them on, the D-string snapped before it got to an A.