Nickel Round Wound - ProSteels Round Wound what is the sound difference ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Catalin, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Nickel Round Wound - ProSteels Round Wound what is the sound difference ? I've read that nickel's have higher tension then steel's. I play tuned down one step. I'm talking about D'Addario strings.
  2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Steel string sound brighter and have higher tension and will wear your frets quicker.

Nickel strings sound mellower easer to bend less tension better less fret wear.
  3. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Most nickel round wounds are steel strings with a nickel coating. Fender pure nickels I hear are pretty high in tension.

The D'Addario Pro Steels are slightly less tension then the D'Addario Nickel Round Wounds for the same gauge (check the website to verify).

Steel roundwounds strings typically have a rougher textrue than nickel or nickel coated. This can lead to finger pain until the calluses build up and faster fret ware. But the sound is poppy and bright.

I have played Pro Steels. They have a nice clarity and bit of high end sizzle. Pro Steels lack mids which can make it hard to cut thru but the lows are tighter or crisper than the DA nickels. I would boost the EQ around 800 Hz and get a good tone.

I have played DA nickels. They have a fairly even response. More mids than the Pro Steels and fewer highes. New they are bright. As the settle in they get a nice rich finger style tone. DA nickels have been more consistent on different basses in a band setting then any other string I have used. They cut thru a mix quite well. EQing them is easier than most strings. Instead of boosting, you can usually cut to get a good sound.

4. Tnks Dave !
    I think i will buy D'Addario EXL160-5 50 70 85 105 135. I think higher tension is better for me because i play down tuned.
    What do you think about Ernie Ball Power Slinky 5-String ?
    Have you tryed them?
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I played one set of Slinkies a while back and did not care for them on a G&L but they did OK on a Modulus. Most of my experience with D'Addario and all of mmy experience with Ernie ball is with a 45-65-80-100-130 set.