1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nickel rounds on fretless rosewood Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Aug 6, 2012.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    I am thinking of buying the new 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz Bass Fretless and have one at home which I can send back.
    This bass came shipped with flats even if the specs at Fender.com says it should have "FenderĀ® USA Super Bass 8250M" strings.
    Anyhow, I really dislike flats especially on a fretless where I strive for open tone and lots of "mwah". So right now I am not too impressed with the sound or feel of this bass. It sounds a bit dull, one-dimensional and unresponsive, at least with my limited fretless skills. (I have another fretless with ebony fingerboard + rounds and that bass sings.)

Will the rosewood fingerboard on the Fender bass survive the use of nickel rounds? Will it still be dark/dull with such strings? I read here on TB that the fretless MIJ Jazz version rosewood was extremely hard wearing but I did not find much info on the MIA one.

Thanks!

2. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    I've got a set of Fender 9120 tapewounds on my fretless. Smooth to the touch, easy on the fretboard, significantly brighter than I expected, and seemingly last forever. The bass was used and had rounds on it when I bought it. I changed the strings immediately and noticed that the rosewood board had dents with grooves from the old strings.

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks!
    Will those tapewounds also produce a good "mwah"?

Anyone else?

4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Forget about rosewood- get an epoxied fingerboard with that "Jaco touch". That epoxy is what protects the fingerboard and allows you to get roundwound "mwah".

5. Nidan

Nidan

Oct 31, 2008
    Duluth , Ga
    I've been using roundwounds on my Jazz Fretless for over 20 yrs , still going strong.

To improve durability, I did dress the rosewood with several coats of danish oil ( until it was saturated) then let it sit a week and polished it , right or wrong it has worked out well over the years and have never had an issue.

6. jcape

jcape

Aug 17, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    I use rounds on a MIM fretless Jazz with rosewood. After over a year, the fretboard is showing some wear but it is minimal.