Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nickel roundwound vs Flat on fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JFT, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Hi all,

got an ATK fretless (first fretless).

The strings on it appears to be light stainless steel roundwound. From the and look and feel I would guess Hi-Beam (which is what I use on my BTB...)

I like the tone as is (there's moderate MWAH) but there's that everlasting dilemma about roundwound eating fingerboard. So I'm wondering if Sunbeam (Nickel roundwound) would be better and how they would compare soundwise to flatwound? I'm looking for "maximum" MWAH factor :D

Anybody put flat on its fretless ATK?

Thanks

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I have never owned an ATK, but any bass will produce less mwah with flats. The question, of course, is, "How much mwah is enough?" Flats also yield an overall darker tone.

You'll probably have to try a set of flats before you know. The ones I hear the most about (and have heard in person) are Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. They're OK, I guess, but they're not for me -- I use Elixirs, which sound a heck of a lot like nickel roundwounds (because that's what they are); I used D'Addario XL's before the Elixirs.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    In my experience, you are going to get minimum "MWAH factor" with flatwounds. I much prefer the sound of roundwounds on my fretless basses.

4. What about the roundwound Nickel vs Stainless steel for "mwah"?

5. How about those D'Addario Half-Rounds? If I had a fretless I would majorly look into those.