1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nickel Roundwounds Help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by metallibass95, May 3, 2010.

1. metallibass95

metallibass95

Apr 7, 2009
    I have been using Ernie Ball nickel roundwound slinkys for a long time now playing stuff such as: ALL Metallica, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Rush, Iron Maiden, Steve Vai and a few others, but I mainly play Metallica. I also tend to use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI frequently when I play, and only use my fingers. I have been thinking trying different brands of strings, the only other brand ive tried are Rotosound Steels but I don't like the feel or the bright punchiness in its sound, also I cant seem to get a good sound on my sansamp pedal using the steels as I can the nickels. As far as my sound goes I would say its strongly based around Rob Trujillo and Jason Newsted's sound. Its pretty close to the sound in this video.

4:47-5:29

The strings I have been curious about trying are Rotosound Swing Nickels, Dunlop Nickels, and D'Addario Nickels. Would anybody know how these strings sound in comparison to the ernie balls im using? Or maybe you guys can refer me to some strings you have used before that would really suit the sound and style of playing.

2. eyecandy

eyecandy

Jul 28, 2009
    try Dunlop Nickels or DR Lo Riders... D'addario XL to.well you try to ask different person, they'd give you different answers, some people like to stick with one brand they already used esp. if you bought something that you didn't like, it would be just a waste of $$