1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

nickel set by rotosound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by growler571, Sep 11, 2008.

1. growler571

growler571

Sep 19, 2007
    does rotosound make a good set of nckel roundwounds with the wrap around threading on the tuning posts? i want to install some nickel rotosounds on my new spetor earo 4 string but i want the strings to be sure and have threading on them so i dont mar up the gold hardware to much on my tuning pegs.

2. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Roto RS66LDN -- available from juststrings.com.

Nice light blue silk right to the end. I strung my p-bass them for the first time two days ago -- a switch from GHS Boomers -- and think they sound great.

I switched from the steel RS66 set to GHS nickel about 5 years ago; I appreciated how -- while being a little easier on the frets -- nickel strings sound pretty close when new to how they sound a year later, as opposed to steels that IMO that go from very bright to totally dead.

3. As in the post above, they are silk wrapped above and below. I have used the nickels for years and find no real tone difference compared to steels when they are new, and find they keep the new tone longer.

People complain about dead strings with Rotos, but I have never had the problem in 20+ years. I did have a string break once at the ball end after just putting it on (these were the Piano String Design model). I emailed Roto to purchase a new single string and they sent me a brand new set with not even a shipping charge. That's a good company.

Oh, and I always deal with Juststrings.com---fast shipping, fantastic selection, good customer service (and I am not affiliated with them in any way).

4. 2 thumbs up on the Rotosound nickel round wounds. I use those exclusively on most of my basses.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I like them. I had some dead Es many years ago but not recently at all.