1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nickel Strings w/ the Most Midrange???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 19, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    just what the title says...

most of the nickels i've used while having a smooth feel, also sound too smooth in the mids. i like a bit more goin' on in there.

any ideas?

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    IME, D'Addario XL170s have a nice non scooped sound. There was a Growly Nickels thread in this forum where someone compared a bunch of strings and came away saying the low mid emphasis awards go to Super Alloys and second to XLs at half the price.

I personally never connected with DR Nickel Low Riders (on a Q5), DR Sunbeams (on a 62 Jazz), Sadowsky Nickels (on a RV5), Ken Smith Bass Burners (on a L2500), or Ernie Ball Slinkies (L2500) like I have with D'Addario (Q5, L2500, RV5, 62 Jazz). Mind you I have not tried all of these strings on all of my basses.

I see you have Sadowskies in your profile. I am pretty convinced that I need to change the hum cancelling jazz pups to single coils in my RV5 to find a few more mids. Waiting for some cash...

Dave

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    DR Sunbeams have a lot going on in the midrange. More than Low Riders for sure.

4. SUNBEAMS

They make my Ric bite even harder....I've used XL 170's, Hybrid Slinky's, Lo-Riders, Nickel Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, factory Ric strings, Blue Steels, Fender Super Bass, Elixers, among others, and the Sunbeams have this rich midrange topped with a sweet high-end that the others couldn't touch.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    thx guys,

i guess the megolyth that is d'addario will be getting my hard earned ducs.

btw, is the "long scale" long enough for my 35" scale MTD?

anyone think the fodera nickel strings have a nice thick midrange?

and where's that pesky BP mag string shootout article when you need it?

6. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    I would have to say that the Daddario XL strings have the richest and thickest mids.......

Chris

7. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Try Dean Markley NPS Roundcores. I use the Rocco sets, and I think they have great mids. I also love the feel.

8. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    Midrange is a pretty wide range. What kind of midrange are you looking for?

I'm assuming I won't have an answer for you, but it might help someone else think of a string.

My main bass has a lot of energy in the low mids, but sounds like it has a "hole" somewhere in middle. I'm always trying to find strings that will tame some of the more aggressive frequencies and amplify some of the shy ones.

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1 on the d'addario EXL170's

i love em. i have used DR lo-riders and i didn't like em. not enough tension and too bight and clangy.

10. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    One thing to add...
    I find that i need to find strings that work for a particular bass... For example, I have a few precisions and each one requires different strings to be at it's best... I have one with a heavy ash body and maple neck, this one needs more warmth in the mids cause it's lacking, so the d,addario works good for that bass..
    The other P-bass is a 1970 with a very ligh alder body maple neck..it is naturaly very warm so I use EB strings...
    Now i have a 1972 ALder body wit Rosewood board that lacks snap but is VERY rich and warm...so RotoSOunds sound best on that bass...

Chris

11. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yes, thats true :bassist:

IMHO of course.

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    D'Addario XL165's or 170's

13. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

The wrap clears my MTD's zero fret.

They sound great, and when clean, they are bright and never break.

The tension is perfect too, which makes sense, figuring they are for Ernie Balls' one piece maple necks.

14. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    Joker,

You will need to find D'addario EXL-###SL...(Super Long)...they will fit....

Also try Ken smith Burners....they measure 36" scale.

I would also Recommend Sadowsky strings....5-String Standard XL SBN45BXL 45-65-85-105-130T.

Rob

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Anyone know anythign about SITs? ... specifically these? http://store.juststrings.net/sit-nr50105l.html

I play the Sads nickelwounds but I'm looking for a heavier gauge to try to eleviate my dead spot (that's going on in a whole other thread). Sonically, they may be too smooth for what ur looking for.

FbassDave likes this.
  16. winston

winston

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Another vote for D'Addario XLs and Dean Markley NPS Roundcores/Nickel Plated Blue Steels. XLs in particular have a midrange complexity I haven't found in other strings.

I bought a used Pedulla Rapture several months ago. I loved the way it looks/feels, but after trying Pedulla steels and nickels, TI Jazz Rounds and Flats, and Dean Markley and Sadowsky flats I was considering either replacing the electronics or swapping it for another bass--I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. Just for the heck of it I put on a set of XLs and now it sounds totally majestic--it's my first-call fretted bass.