Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nickel vs. nickelplated steel help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Jun 15, 2001.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Hi evrybody!
    I'm new at Talkbass, but Ive been reading your post for long time. Forgive me for my English.

My question is: I just replaced strings on my new MIM Jazz e perceived some difference. The original strings I think was Fender 7250 Nickelplated Steel. Now I've put a set of Daddario EXL .045. IMO the Fender were better for slap, but the Daddarios are better for anything else and not bad for slap.

Are nickelplated strings a step between nickel and stainless steel???
    What's the difference between nickel and nickelplated?!?

Thank you guys for any help!

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Welcome to Talkbass. :)

I believe the strings you are using now are nickel plated steel wraps, probably wound around a core of stainless steel. I guess in that sense, you are in between an all stainless string and a nickel string.

I think some nickel strings are nickel plated steel outer wraps, and some are all nickel wraps.

I could be wrong, so I'm sure someone will correct me. :D

I am at a disadvantage as I have only ever used stainless strings. I don't know much about the nickel products.

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Thank you!
    Yeah, I checked the Daddario site and they say the XLs are "Nickel-plated steel wrap wire" so I think it's all the same.

Now I see - the Daddario PRISM is stainless steel. I played these strings some time ago and they seemed really brighter.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yep, stainless will generally be brighter, especially when new. In most cases, they will feel a little rough when compared to nickel strings.

Stainless strings may also have a shorter lifespan in some cases. The 'bright' characteristics noticeably fade away over time, while nickel is less noticeable in that respect. I still love stainless though, I never could adapt to nickel for some reason. :confused: