1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nickel vs. stainless / elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dvalles, Apr 18, 2001.

1. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i prefer nickel wound strings. i go for a pick tone, and surprisingly, i like cheap ass ernie ball strings the best, although i have yet to try the elixir strings. i don't want to spend $50 on a set of strings and hate them!! times are tough....
    -d

2. Flatwound

Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not currently playing with a pick, but I found the upper mids to have a harsher sound with the Elixirs than the Ernies. The Ernie Ball nickels sound very good to me. I A/B'ed the Ernies with some DR Lo-Riders (stainless) on my Precision, and the Ernies definitely sounded warmer and thumpier.

If times are really tough, you could try Webstrings, they're $10.50 a set, or Carvins which will cost more when you add shipping, or you could even get the twin pack of D'Addario XL's from juststrings for like 22 bucks or so. I have to admit I haven't compared any of these to Ernies, though.

3. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i have tried the ddario XL's and they sounded pretty good, if not the same. but they died a little quicker than the ernie balls. for 15.99 a set, i don't think they can be beat.
    -d