Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nickel vs. stainless / elixirs

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dvalles, Apr 18, 2001.

1. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i prefer nickel wound strings. i go for a pick tone, and surprisingly, i like cheap ass ernie ball strings the best, although i have yet to try the elixir strings. i don't want to spend $50 on a set of strings and hate them!! times are tough....
    -d

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not currently playing with a pick, but I found the upper mids to have a harsher sound with the Elixirs than the Ernies. The Ernie Ball nickels sound very good to me. I A/B'ed the Ernies with some DR Lo-Riders (stainless) on my Precision, and the Ernies definitely sounded warmer and thumpier.

If times are really tough, you could try Webstrings, they're $10.50 a set, or Carvins which will cost more when you add shipping, or you could even get the twin pack of D'Addario XL's from juststrings for like 22 bucks or so. I have to admit I haven't compared any of these to Ernies, though.

3. dvalles

dvalles

Apr 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    i have tried the ddario XL's and they sounded pretty good, if not the same. but they died a little quicker than the ernie balls. for 15.99 a set, i don't think they can be beat.
    -d