Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nickel vs stainless steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by loma, Feb 14, 2004.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    nickel vs stainless steel

i love the feel of stainless steel, i like it when my fingers hurt, i also love the brightness of stainless steel, and the tone

2. I like nickel for ash body basses and stainless for alder body basses.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    nickel plated steel is a good compromise. I like stainless too, but NPS is a good middle of the road.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    After years of Playing Ken Smith and D'Addarrio Nickel Strings, I switched to DR SS a few years back. I really love the sound and the feel does not bother me a bit. I think I have calouses that are a few feet thick...lol.

Well, I got a Ken Smith Bass yesterday( :) ).....and I was shocked at how much I did not like the Nickel Smith Strings that were on the bass, even after loving Smith nickel strings for years. It is simply the brightness and the grip that I miss from the nickel. i would rather tame a zingy string than try to coax life from s dull sounding string I guess.

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I use whatever string will give my instrument the most flexibillity. If I have a hard time dialing in the right midrange tone I might try some nickel plated strings. If I have a hard time dialing in highs I might try out some SS strings. It really depends on what type of natural tone my instrument gets, what type of string will help bring it out, I am not for one or the other.

6. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003