nickel vs stainless steel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by loma, Feb 14, 2004.

1. loma

Sep 27, 2003
    nickel vs stainless steel

i love the feel of stainless steel, i like it when my fingers hurt, i also love the brightness of stainless steel, and the tone
  2. I like nickel for ash body basses and stainless for alder body basses.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    nickel plated steel is a good compromise. I like stainless too, but NPS is a good middle of the road.
  4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    After years of Playing Ken Smith and D'Addarrio Nickel Strings, I switched to DR SS a few years back. I really love the sound and the feel does not bother me a bit. I think I have calouses that are a few feet

Well, I got a Ken Smith Bass yesterday( :) ).....and I was shocked at how much I did not like the Nickel Smith Strings that were on the bass, even after loving Smith nickel strings for years. It is simply the brightness and the grip that I miss from the nickel. i would rather tame a zingy string than try to coax life from s dull sounding string I guess.
  5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I use whatever string will give my instrument the most flexibillity. If I have a hard time dialing in the right midrange tone I might try some nickel plated strings. If I have a hard time dialing in highs I might try out some SS strings. It really depends on what type of natural tone my instrument gets, what type of string will help bring it out, I am not for one or the other.
  6. loma

Sep 27, 2003