use, your opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sam V, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    first of all I apolagise if this sorta thread has been done a million times over. I was just wondering what all you nickel players are using. So far I've been happy with my Ernie Ball regular slinkys but I'd like to know what in your experiance is your favourite nickel string. Thanks:D
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The only Nickels I've ever played are D'Addario XLs. I'd like to try something different, but I'll probably just end up going back to stainless steel strings. Zing!
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I bought a couple of sets of Smith Burner nickels for my Zon on Brad Johnson's recommendation. I haven't gigged with the bass yet (coming up this weekend!), but at home, I really like these strings so far. Nickels are much easier on the fingers and the frets, and they sound great. I don't notice any shortage of highs (of course...that could have something to do with the composite neck). Zon nickel strings were also highly recommended to me.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Glad you liked them, cw. They seem to have just the right combination of warmth, punch and brightness on the Zons. I haven't found anything that sounds or feels as good to me for my Zon.
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I use Thomastik Infeld strings -- Powerbass, Jazz Rounds and Jazz Flats on various basses. They sound and feel great, imo.
  6. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I used to use Snarling Dogs, Billy Sheehan custom strings on my Warwick but told me that they are discontinued because Billy uses Rotosound now or something, but I don't like the Rotos as much as the Snarling Dogs Hell Billys...they were the best!!
    Nickels rock!
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    D'Addario XL, Dean Markley Blue Nickel and DR Lowrider Nickel. In a pinch, I'll take the D'Addario's.
  8. I'm currently using SIT Powerwounds, but I also love DR Sunbeams. has great prices on SIT Strings.:)
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    D'Addario Slowounds
  10. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    2nd that ,d'addario slowwounds... best nickel string IMHO... :D
  11. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    ghs boomers are nickel arent they?
  12. i use DR lo-rider nickel, love the heck out of 'em. i used to use Ernie Ball, i thought they were good too. the DRs just have a little extra something.
  13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass (the best strings I have ever used)

with DR Sunbeams being a close 2nd
  14. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Ernie Ball Extra Slinkies (40-95) I love them and so does my bass teacher.
  15. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkies!
    :D Really nice nickle strings...

then again so are lots of other strings...
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
  17. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    thomastik-infeld powerbass. best roundwound i ever used and the only one i'll probably ever use.
  18. sleazylenny

Jun 20, 2002
    Mpls, MN
    Fender Superbass. Cheap, bright and punchy. For some reason ( for me at least ) they seem to outlast anything else I've played. I've tried many a brand, but always go back to the Fenders.

They're actually nickle-plated steel. Are there PURE nickle strings out there? Seems like they'd be kinda soft to me.:confused:
  19. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Im using Elites 'player series' 0.035-0.095 on my jazz. I doubt you can get them in the states, they are made in london.

They seem to last months (esp. with fast fret) and dont go flat over the frets either (at least, not as quickly as steels in my opinion)

I love the playability of them, they feel soft and forgiving and bend really easily.
  20. Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats. Low tension (for flatwound). Wonderful tone & feel with great low-B. Probably stay with them for a long time.