Nickle Or Stainless Steel???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Newjacksm, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Newjacksm

Sep 28, 2002
    What do you guys like....

I really like the stainless steel... it gives it this great sound when you pop and slap...........
  2. Well, this question has been asked before, but...

I like both. I usually use nickel-plated, but I'm liking the DR Hi Beams on my Carvin LB75 so far. I'll be trying SIT Powerwounds (nickel-plated) on it sometime to compare the two.
  3. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    NW Arkansas
    Fender Original Pure Nickel wound actually sound better on my Jazz bass, but they die quickly. Watch for fret wear with stainless strings. They will wear the frets much quicker than nickel strings. Nickel plated stainless are less abrasive than the pure old stainless strings. I must agree, stainless strings have that bright zip.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Stainless strings will kill your frets faster than Nickels, but both will cause damage. I personally prefer the sound and feel of Nickels on all my basses (except phosphor bronze on the ABG). Specifically Fender Super Bass Nickels (45-105/130) are my favorites.

Try leaving your strings on for years. Just wash your hands before playing and keep from getting too much gunk on them. After about 6 months a set of strings really hits the "sweet spot", then you can keep them on until they lose intonation. I've had strings last up to 8 years.

I know a lot of people love the "zingy" sound of new strings. This is not the natural state for strings. Let the strings "break in", then EQ your bass and/or amp to get the "zingyness" back, and you're good to go.