Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nickname for your bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Smokey, Feb 3, 2004.

1. I was curious to see if anyone here at TB also names their instruments? I call my Fender P-bass "4 string Bandit". My guitar is affectionatly known as "6 shooter of love". Anyone care to tell their instrument's nicknames?

2. theres a thread 'bout naming basses, i guess its alomst the same thing..
    anyway i call mine 'zippy'

3. Where is the naming thread?

4. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Nope. I've never started calling my inanimate objects by name.

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    My lizerd is name is Toad, My newt's name is newt so just imagen what my Guitars are called:0
    My Affintity P-bass is named blue cause its blue.
    My vista is named Vista.
    But my Wah WAh name is SUPER PEDALMAN!!!!!!!!!

6. Toupé

Toupé

Jan 10, 2004
    Southampton, UK
    My Pedulla Series II was affectionately called 'The Schmoo' when I first got her. So when I was a teenager practicing in my room, my mum would holler up the stairs, 'Grant, what are you doing?' and I could say, 'I'm fiddlin' the Schmoo, Ma. D'ya mind?'

The looks when I get down to dinner.

Then my Pedulla MVP6 came along and because my surname is Sharkey, and Burt Reynolds was ina film called 'Sharky's machine' (Tag line - 'But is Sharkey, No one leans on Sharky's Machine!') I decided to call her Burt Reynolds. She lovely!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've thought about it before...I've got a number of my own nicknames (Peepers, Pause Man, Nurgler, Chicken McNugget, Hat, a few others I can't remember) but I haven't been able to come up with any for my instruments. As of now, they're called "fretted" and "fretless" :p.

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    My older bass, my Squier Affinity P, is named Charlotte. I haven't figured out the name of my Godin.

In other news, my iPod's name is Buster (a good name for a trumpet, I think) and my laptop's named Melanie Watt.

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    I name all my basses after slutty pro-type monickers (IMO, anyway) - my first bass was called 'Tina', my current 4-banger is called 'Peggy', and my fat 5'er has been nick'ered 'Bertha'! :D

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My first bass, MIM Fender, is called affectionately Amy, after a very good friend of mine. My Ibanez BTB is called "the baby". My SX fretless is known as (Gollum voice on) my...fretlesssss(/Gollum). Don't have a name for the P-bass yet.

Oh yeah, and my cheap acoustic is called "smelly" because it smells funky.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My Rickenbacker is known as "Rick"
    My P-Bass is the "Sweet 79"
    My blue Sterling is called "Butters"
    My black Sterling is called "The Spectre of Death"
    My pink Fender Hoppus is "Pinky Tuscaraura"
    My Ken Smith is known as "Ken"
    My honeyburst sparkle Stingray is the "tomato"

:bassist:

12. my acoutsic bass = acoustic aaron
    my four string warwick corvette = jazz man jake
    my five string peavey thru neck = metal machine clive
    my old battered p-bass copy = funk master dave

13. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    I call mine Pile of ****, or POS for short. But that's only when I get frusterated while trying to get something down and I can't. Practice is the answer.

14. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    the guys in my band used to call my 6-string the "War Hammer"....guess they were afraid of the low B? :D

15. My Ibanez GSR200 is named "fretless" and my recently aquired SX Jazz 4 is either "fretted or jazz or fretted jazz"

16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    They call my rig the Building Inspector. :bassist:

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Woot for that. My fretless Essex is "fretless" or "essex" or my Godin is "godin" and my hohner is "hohner" or "broom".

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have a crappy Squire P-Bass... when it annoys me, i call it "piece of crap"... when i get a good sound out of it, i call it "the 4 string king"

19. gatordad

gatordad

Jan 8, 2004
    Brandon, MS
    Thumper!