1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nick's list of questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Here goes

1) Diads. How are you musically "correct" with diads? For instance in C. I know I could play C and E. But would it still be part of C and harmonize if I played D and F? Do I have to space the notes an interval apart? Are diads only playable if they're roots & 3rds, 3rds & 5ths, etc?

2) Playing by ear. I did a search on TB and came up with this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=20754&highlight=learning+by+ear

This does help a lot, but several times in other threads, singing or humming along to the song was mentioned. My question here is, how can I go about learning to sing on-note? When I sing, I can't keep a tune whatsoever. One of my friends suggested playing a note an octave up on my bass and trying to match my voice to it. This doesn't seem to work, as I recorded myself and I sound nowhere close to the notes I'm playing. If I did this a lot, would it help me?

3) Keys. What exactly is a key? If you're in the key of C major, does that just mean you don't play any notes other than C D E F G A B c? If that's true, then would switching to C minor in the middle of a song be musically correct? If my first question under number 3 is yes, then can a song consist of two keys, such as C maj and D maj? Do the keys fit together in any way?

4) Finally, I bought a cord today that consists of one end for the guitar and one end for the amp. Why is the cord made so that I can only plug it into one or the other? what would happen if I plugged the guitar end into the amp and vice versa?

2. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Thanks a lot, (ed? mr fuqua?), this helps:)

Hmm, I still don't understand this part.

Hilarious:D

3. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Yes, that helps very much. Thank you:)

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Ouch. I thought only really tall Italian guys with sculptured beards and penciled-in eyebrows could hit that note. If this isn't a typo, I'm damn impressed.