NickTheBassist's New Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Ok so most of you read the thread that ended up being closed have no idea why it was closed but it was so hey here's an update.

Now I was dreading this meeting, well I've been speaking to Toasted for about 8 months and he's a great guy and very helpful so it was a good chance to meet him. Now Nick personally I've always concidered a bit of a (fill in the blank) but he turned up was nice and polite and brought two basses with him (As well as his Dad).

We went into Academy of Sound in Manchester where the sales assistant really really annoyed me, telling Nick that the Hartke 2000 had two preamps so you could effectivley get twice the volume :eek: :eek: :eek: good god man are you on crack I nearly screamed out. So after we got the half wit to leave us alone after 30minutes yes thats right 30minutes some people just don't take a hint. Nick brought out his lovely Limited Edition Warwick Bolt On Thumb yes people he does actually have it I was surprised as well.

Loverly bass well as thumb's go I'm more of a Ric man my self but it is a very beautiful bass sounds great.

So now I'm expecting to hear erm well not the greatest bass player, but wow Nick can play no he's not amazing, no he ain't a chops monster but he's pretty damn good at least as good as I was when I'd been playing four years. SO surprises all round.

So to the amps, we started off with a Hartke HA2000 into an 115xl and it sounded killer to all of us abit quiet but still pretty good growl with the warwick.

Next we moved on to a s/h roland db700 erm now this just plain sucked it was really really hissy, lacked bass response and wasn't as loud as the hartke.

Now having only 500 pounds to spend made this all very difficult there's not alot of amplifier you can get for 500 quid, but they brought out a Mag 250 1x15 combo brand new but it was still a made in england one trust me both me and Toasted looked, so we started to play that, wow ashdown rulke I always thought they did but now I know they don't skimp on their cheaper amps. But it was lacking in something so we plugged the hartke 115xl into it as well and omg a whole new world of tone opened up.

So finally Nick decided to buy this combo and come back to manchester in a few months to buy my 115xl because I have one i'm selling so it worked out great for every one.

So can every one be nice to Nick on this one he was very nice to me and Toasted and he's got a great amp no it ain't a rack mount monster with 1000w's but neithers mine. He got an amp with all the features and sounds he wanted what more could you ask for, so remember people their is a reason why we are the friendliest community online lets try to show it

So to carry on he bought the amp and we left and all walked up to Johnny Roadhouse a very interesting s/h music shop and we spot a Modulus VJ Jazz bass Fretted and sunburst now this is a rare find in Manchester in fact maybe in England. So to cut a long story short because I have a better point to make is we all liked it but Toasted prefered his Peduala, I prefer my Ric and Nick prefers his Thumb.

Now on the way out theres this big coloured guy standing at the door talking on a blackberry and wearing a SWR jacket, I walk straight past him and get out side and go thats.....

So like a teenage girl I run up to him and go your Doug Wimbish aren't you, he agreed that he was, and I was stunned he then asked me if I was going to see living colour tonight, I had to apologise that even though the support band had invited me to come down I had no money for tickets.

SO HE SAID..... write your name down and I'll put you on the guest list :eek:

So he put me and Toasted on the guest list

I just got back from this concert check out my other threads for other info
  2. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    What a great story. Glad to hear that Nick comes across better in person that he does in type. And congrats to Nick on his new amp. I'm sure that it will only help him to take his playing to a new level.
  3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    How was the concert? And what colours was he? :)
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    That's cool. Enjoy the amp Nick, and remember, we're all here to help you :) .
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wow. I kinda wish I could have a meeting like this in Memphis. Curse you non-existant Memphian Talkbassers!!
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Great story. Glad it had a happy ending. I already give nick the Thumbs-up (pun not intended) for joining the ranks of Ashdown users in the other thread.

That was my favorite part of the story.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Great story!
    And meeting Doug... now that makes this even cooler :cool:
  8. ive nver really liked Hartke cabs they have always been a bitweak and the combo's arent the best in the world.. but they are pretty decent for the money. my first proper amp setup cost me 350 and was atrace elliot 130w head and a 1048. was a killer setup for the price..

I am glad tohear nick is an okay bloke in real life ive talked to him a bit and he just needs to becomewiser toeverything andrealizeeveryone is differentandbrings something new to bass..

The DW is amazingl lucky.. hope the gig was great and all the great stuff

keep on going.!!

(space bar is busted.. so i appolosise to long german like words...several different strung together hehe)..
  9. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    IT was an amazing day actually, meeting Nick and being genuinely suprised what a nice guy he was, and a good player - sorting him out with a new amp which is so much more suitable for him (and getting a killer deal)

Finding a Modulus in a crap second hand music store, but us all liking our instruments better, -

Meeting Doug Wimbish was totally unprecidented and then to get guest list for his gig - what a cool bloke and top bassist :D!
  10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I need to get back to Memphis and eat some more of Chef Lonnie Mack's ribs at the Blues City Diner. Maybe I'll make the trip early next year and we can meet up.