1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nicola Alagia Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by robbyoxoby, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had heard of or had any experiences with basses made by Nicola Alagia? The bass is of Italian origin, flat back, and made around 1960. Any information would be appreciated.
    Rob

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Very little known about him as he is only listed in the modern Italian makers book by Brinser (not listed in Henley or Jalovek). Born 1879. Exhibited Violins and won medal in 1926, 1927 and 1949. Nothing mentioned about Basses or the year he died. Reddish oil varnish and a professional maker. If you show me some pictures, I might have an opinion as far as originality. I have seen Basses labeled by both G.Fiorini and A.Poggi (pupil of Fiorini) that in my opinion were both actually German. One other Fiorini Bass actually had a sticker hidden inside that said either 'Germany' or 'Made in Germany'. A smoking gun there. These could have been bought in the white and completed and varnished by them. This is the easiest way for an Italian Violin maker to sell a Bass or two when needed. This is still done today all over the world by makers.

Show me/us some pics and lets take a shot at the ID of this relatively unknown maker.