Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Arjan, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Sad but true, he's no longer among us.
    Rest in Peace man.

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    A great loss, Probobly my favorite on the Upright, His work with Oscar Peterson was exquisit!

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    :bawl: OMG! He was one of my faves! Say it isn't so! :bawl:

4. SAD SAD!
    He was one of the best bassplayer in the World. I talked with him a few times and he showed me a thing or two on the bass! He was really nice guy and damn he could play the bass!

Take care NHØP

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Big, big tone.

Xmas morning 1976, I get my 1st 'real' stereo. The 1st album I played was The Trumpet Kings(on Pablo Records)...NHOP was the bassist. That 1st tune kicked in & WOW! The bass just blew me away.

RIP, NHOP.

6. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    He was only 58 years old. That's way too young. What an amazing cat: Played with Teddy Wilson and with Albert Ayler. Yow!

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    "Nigerian Marketplace " with Oscar Peterson is as fine of an example of recorded upright bass as you will ever find!

8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    oh no man, this was totally unexpected for me
    he left a great legacy of good playing, that will be remembered and celebrated in the future
    rest in peace

9. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Sad news. :(

Lucky for all of us that he left behind all those recordings...

Only 58?? What a great loss. :( He has been a big inspiration to me. I wish I had been able to tell him so.

10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    OMG I love NHOP. He was surely the most colorful voice I have ever heard on upright and was an excellent musician as well. Anyone who wants to hear him loud and clear should pick up his "chops" album.

RIP Niels. :(

11. truly a loss for the bass and jazz communities. he was an original and a giant.

rest in peace, sir.

from the respectful lows,

Stew

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    RIP most definitely. What happened? He never seemed very old to me (58, apparently!) and I've never seen anything in regards to him being in poor health.

EDIT: I checked out BBC, and they didn't have any details about why he died.

13. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    He had a stroke. The last few years he has struggled with heartproblems. But now the great dane has fallen.

See the other thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=176153

14. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    He was an amazing cat. He played with Teddy Wilson, and he also played with Ornette Coleman, and he always sounded like himself, no matter what the context. I never realized how young he was. 58 is way too early to go.

15. Reviving this very old thread because I just 'discovered' this guy, on a recording with Joe Pass. What an amazing player! Can anyone recommend some 'essential' recordings?

16. PJ Muzikmansky

PJ Muzikmansky

Jan 4, 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niels-Henning_Ørsted_Pedersen

And yes...Amazing: Sort of like Jaco on double bass, but with better chops !