Nigerian 419 Scammers Crackdown

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LajoieT, Aug 8, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

Interesting to hear that they actually rake in some cash, and some of the other things they do in the business (buying cell phones that fake your location??)

I don't hold out much hope for the crackdown to cut down on the 10-20 of these things I get every day tho. I really don't think Nigeria is interested in stopping the practice or it would be very easy to to, start holding the internet cafe's responsible for the stuff that comes out of their computers, raid/monitor the activity and nail a bunch of them and I'm sure the rest would find something else to do rather quickly. IMO the Nigerian Govt probably looks at this as petty crime that has no negative impact on the people of Nigeria (they aren't ripping them off) so I'm sure it's low on their priorities, no matter what they tell the FBI.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They've got other priorities in Nigeria, like a 10% infant mortality rate and 60% of the population living below the poverty line.
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Yay for statistics... but truth is... there is a reason why those numbers are so high... reason is... no one invest into country because its high risk due to no real "Law" in the country. Investors look at Nigeria and see what goes on there with out punishment they wont invest because nothing will stop someone from taken the money and never paying them back...

If Nigeria slows the world that the System is getting better by doing this more people will invest into the country because risk will be lower, as well as Nigeria will be able to get money under lower interest rate. This will help the job situation as well as public programs, Hence pulling down number of Unemployed and death.

Its always easy to point out problems... its slightly more difficult to give out solutions... i am glad Nigeria is starting to figure out the solutions... more power to them...

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats insignificant compared to the fact that I was dumb enough to fall for one of those scams and give away my info and money to a complete stranger that contacted me online.