Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Night Fist Clenching, please help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Melf, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    After two years of not understanding what is wrong with my wrists, I finally figured it out. It's not my hand position. It's not improper technique. It's not too much force.

I clench my fists in my sleep. As far as I know, I do it all night. My girlfriend has verified this and several times I've woken up with them curled up as hard as I could.

I was hoping I could find somebody who's had this problem before and successfully fixed it. I have no idea how I would fix this, seeing as I'm asleep when it happens. :(

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well this won't fix the problem, but it may help treat the symptoms - have you tried the chinese iron balls that the kung fu guys use?

They're not just for strengthening the fingers/hands/wrists. They also do a great job working out any kinks, cramps, or tension in those areas and massaging the knuckle joints. You can use them to loosen up before playing, and work out any cramps or tension after playing or doing heavy finger exercises. About 5-10 minutes in each hand, rotating both directions works for me.

They're sold at martial arts supply stores and I've also seen them at some hippie-type flea market stores. They come in different sizes so you can pick the size that best fits your hands.

YMMV, and good luck.

3. I used to have a minor case of this. I just held something, i used to use a snooker ball, apparently this doesnt work for everyone, but give it a go.

4. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Have you ever considered wearing/wrapping them in a brace of sorts to prevent them from forming a fist to see what that does for you?

Troll

5. Wizeguy262

Wizeguy262

Feb 16, 2005
    The way I see it, you only have one choice...don't sleep. Go out, buy a couple cases of red bull and all of your problems will be solved. All except for the few minor side effects of not sleeping.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hmmm sounds like you have sleeping troubles! I grind my teeth! Its all related generally. Sound slike you are probably a stressed out person and you need to relax! I can say that when i take a tylenol pm before i go to bed i find that i dont grind my teeth! I think i sleep to hard. I would ask a Dr. if i were you! But yeah a brace sounds like a good idea! Look in the sports medicine area of a store you should find somthing

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I do that. But, I grab the sheet and work it into a ball so I can squeeze it. My wife HATES that I do it since I destroy the sheets eventually. Sometimes, especially when I am really stressed, my hands are worn out by morning. The ONLY thing that stops it are muscle relaxers. I have muscle spasms in my back and I don't do the hand thing when I take the prescribed muscle relaxers. Ask you doctor about it. It is most likely a stress reaction.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah i have horrible neck problems from playing bass so long and more than that a stent in racing dirt bikes.LOL Those muscle relaxers are great for things like this but a warning they really make me grumpy and hung over for like 30 min in the morning! If you are like me and have to get up and go early! I do stuff like pee in the closet and call my wife by other names! :eyebrow:

9. LMAO!