Night of The Living Deadspot...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Claymore, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Behind E string

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A string

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. D string

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. G string

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. This will not have the effect you are looking for. Do not proceed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I was gonna suggest this on the "Dead spot" thread @forrestlaw but it was too long and I didn't wanna hijack it. I don't know where I heard this (maybe TB?) and I have yet to implement the idea but, going along with the concept of adding mass to the headstock, this seems feasible.
    So, the idea was to buy tungsten slugs (which are crazy-heavy for their size) and a forstner bit (which drills a perfectly clean hole) and seat one or more of these slugs behind the tuning pegs out of view. You would have to drill shallow with the bit to avoid coming out the other side of the headstock, obviously.

Assuming my dead spot is near the 5th fret of the G string, which tuner would you place the slug behind? Depending on how far out the slug(s) are on the headstock will have an effect on how far the dead spot is moved. I'm allowing multiple votes because it might require multiple slugs behind different tuning pegs to move the dead spot down the neck to a less-annoying location. What do you think? Extra points if you know where this idea came from.
    80073260-0F9D-4AF8-B65F-88F02B60C37E.jpeg AE16DF6C-1F74-429C-9962-178AF072D01A.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    mikewalker likes this.
  2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Yep, there was a thread where someone put 4 of those weights behind the tuners. I don't have the skills to flush it out though....

Claymore likes this.
  3. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    F3822F43-86EF-4647-93D8-2A1FE74FF8A5.jpeg C'mon... no engineers or steely-eyed missile men on TB today? Surely someone can weigh in on this. FYI- The slugs each weigh around 1/4 oz.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  4. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I knew I wasn't imagining that. Thank you. :D

Datsgor likes this.
  5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    It may have been JohnK...I don't know.

Claymore likes this.
  6. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Found it. Thanks. :D

Datsgor likes this.
  7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Well, you aren't going to get a precise answer from us engineering-types. Calculating the natural resonant frequency of an electric bass frame would take a lot of measuring, testing, and calculation. It can be done, but it's a whole lot of work. It's going to be much easier to just test it. Temporarily attach weights to the headstock and see what happens.

My educated guess is that you first need to figure out how much weight you need to attach to the headstock to make the deadspot move. Use tape or baling wire to fasten weights on the headstock, and keep adding weights until you see some change. Experiment to get an idea how much weight will "fix" the deadspot to your satisfaction. Then start thinking about how to mount the weights, and where. The position of the weights on the headstock isn't going to be that important.

Turnaround and Matt Liebenau like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    You already has Pinewood tungsten rod.
    Now you also need Gotoh GB640 tuning machines set which has large plate to hidden the rod.

One tungsten rod under each A and D stock small tuning plate are not enough add mass.

dead spot.jpg

Treating your bass' deadspot | eBass

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I been use Wilkinson Vintage tuning machince and solve the Squier CV60J G string dead spot well. Overall weight increase around 250grams than Squier CV60J stock tuning machince include ring and screws.
    The tuning machince set weight on Squier CV60J and Fender MIM std/player are almost same.

YAP_1821.JPG YAP_1835.JPG YAP_1837.JPG YAP_1844.JPG

Hopehelp

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021