Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Night Passage or Black Market: Which one's better?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 19, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ok, People, I need some help here. It's been a while since I bought a Weather Report album and I'm thinking of getting either Black Market or Night Passage. Incidentally, I already have Mr Gone, Heavy Weather and 8:30, so those are off the list.

Jacophiles, help!

Will C.:cool:

2. in Rain Man voice:

"Night Passage. Yeah, definitely Night Passage."

It's along the lines of HW, but with Peter Erskine on drums. And they do a rippin' version of Ellington's "Rockin' in Rhythm, along with a great version of my favorite Jaco tune, "Three Views Of a Secret".

Also, you can't beat Jaco's solo about 2 1/2 minutes into "Port of Entry". Whew! :D

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've always preferred both NIGHT PASSAGE and WEATHER REPORT(Jaco's last w/ the band)to the earlier releases.
    It's like Stinger5 sez...whew!
    ..."Fast City" is, well, fast! :D

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    they are both worth the price of admission, i'd get them both!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, I got Night Passage. Really good album. The version of Three views of a Secret is a tad disappointing, though. Compared to the one on Word of Mouth.

Will C.:cool:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wheel-
    I first heard "3 Views..." on NIGHT PASSAGE. When I heard the full orchestra treatment + Toots' harmonica on WORD OF MOUTH, I was a little surprised. Basically, the NP version is a bare bones' approach to a tune that lends itself very well to a full, lush arrangement(like on WOM).
    Anyway, if I hadda pick, I think I would prefer Jaco's version over WR's; regardless, I like them both + the live versions that appear on the BIRTHDAY CONCERT & TWINS.
    One of my personal favorite tunes...period!

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Columbia puts out a "This is Jazz" series. Number 40 is "Weather Report...the Jaco Years". An great way to get a "best of". :)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes but anyone who has any sort of interest will already have Heavy Weather - everybody has this surely! - and so you will be duplicating tracks. Also once you get into Jaco - you want it all and compilations just don't do it!

I also agree with the comments above that the "Birthday Concert" version of "3 views of a secret" is really awesome and always moves me when I hear it - it really does make the Night Passage version seem pale by comparison.

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    It's just convenient to have a lot of the Weather Report songs I like...on "one" disc. I' think I'll go listen to it now...instead of wasting my time here, telling others about it.