Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nightbass SE with X-15 or Lexicon MPX G2 with it's footcontroller

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Stick with the Nightbass

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Trade for a Lexicon MPX G2

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. You should try the new rackmount multi-carrot box

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. you are an idiot

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. So, i've got my ART Nightbass SE along with the X-15 footcontroller, and i like it, but i am looking for something with a more updated sound (I think that the nightbass has kind of an 80's processed sound) and one option i am looking at is the lexicon MPX G2. One thing i am not fond of on the NB is the distortion...any whos had an ART distortion knows that they make very over the top 80's style distortion. Well, the MPX G2 has a tubescreamer model. I also think the ART reverbs are too dark, and get muddy on the higher settings...Lexicon is known for their great reverbs...those are my two biggest gribes with the NB. otherwise i like it a lot. Its a really good professional Multi-FX box, with a lot of usable tones. I really like it because there are only a few NB users on TB and it's nice to have something that not a whole lot of people have. however the MPXG2, sounds like it has a more modern tone, and it looks like it is very flexible...it also has the LCD screen with named presets instead of 1,2,3, etc (yes, thats a problem for me...i can't remember what patch "1" sounds like, but i can remember what "Leven Lust" sounds like (yes, thats an actual NB patch). the MPXG2 also has a footcontroller made just for it, like the NB with it's X-15...afaik, the prices are pretty close, within a hundred bucks or two.
    personally i'd like to trade, rather than try to sell the NB on ebay and possibly get a lot less than i had hoped for, then i wouldn't have either effect box!

anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. I voted you are an idiot because it was the most fun choice. But on a serious note If you want you can pm me a price and maybe I will by it from you.

3. i will consider it, btw people, if you have another idea, please tell me!

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You just knew I would have to chime in, didn't ya? :smug:

I wish I didn't agree with you on the Nightbass' distortions. They, for the most part, suck. As you can see by my recent thread on the H&K Warp Factor pedal, I decided to look outside the NB for my distortion needs. I'm much happier now.

The reverbs I can't really say anything as I haven't ever really found use for them, Nightbass or other.

I can enlighten you to one thing that is becoming a concern for me with the NB and that is parts. Yep, parts. The input gain pot and output level pot on mine are not gig friendly anymore. I just can't trust them. Guess what? They are not common pots you can get at any electronics store and even Mouser doesn't have a listing for them! :( I have been searching and hopefully will find some replacements...someday.

So long story short(er), I have been thinking of retiring the Nightbass as far as gigging is concerned. I'll keep it just for recording at home as I really like the chorus, flanger, and delay effects. The only things I need for gigging are compression (Trace built in), distortion (Warp Factor), wah (Weeping Demon), and chorus. I have 3 out of 4 already so why not?

That Lexicon unit sounds very promising and I like the idea of it better than a Vamp or Line6 unit. I trust Lexicon a lot more than the other two. If you do decide to go with it, let me know how it works out for you.

I hate to say it but it might be time to "move on" from the NB. Only you know for sure. Good luck.

5. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    I have a Lexicon G2 w/ the footpedal and the distortion is totally useable, but you have to put in some serious time to dial in the volume for different effects. I knew this going in, but wasn't quite prepared for the time it took to understand everything and get the thing up and running. And if you're playing with a band, you have to be prepared to redial the volume so it can be quite a chore.

Once you have it set up though it is killer. Still a project for me though finding what works in a band setting.

6. right...its the same way with the nightbass, and any higher end rack multi-fx boxes, they all take time in to dial in the right settings, but i am a tinkerer (if its not broke, fix it until it is!), and i like that kinda stuff. i suppose you wouldn't be willing to trade would you? :)

7. thanks for the input kelly, i know how you feel about the nb...of course, i don't really have a problem with the input gain,

i haven't had any problems with the NB, in fact, it has served me quite well! but i think that its time to move on...

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    V-Bass. Even without the GK pickup and the COSM models, its fidelity and effects quality is excellent.

9. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    I agree with greenboy on this one. I have had excellent experiences with the V-Bass. I run my 7 string with piezo output for the midi signal and mix a layer of the straight output from the piezos and the magnetic. I think the real advantage for the V-Bass is that it can be as complex or simple as you want to make it. Right out of the box it was easy to set up and use. As you gain more experience with the small programing devices onboard you can mix up some fairly crazy stuff or simply take the presets and mix them into your signal to enhance the basic sounds of your bass or amp. I particularly like the various fretless settings (even with my fretless) as you can mix in room type settings that can either sharpen or soften your overall sound. I would recomment springing for the pickup though if you aren't able to drive the midi with piezo output. They are fairly easy to mount (although I don't recommend the two sided tape option) and even with the seven they can be adjusted to pick up six of the top strings. I believe greenboy (or someone on the ERB forum can't quite remember) has a web dedicated to the V-Bass that has some useful info on it you might want to check it out.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Ah, I was offered admin/moderator chores for an fairly new V-Bass last December or so:

http://VBASS.thedrillgun.com/

I would like to amend your use of "midi" in conjunction with the V-Bass though. The V-Bass does not use midi or pitch-to-midi for any sound triggering, only for sys-ex dumps and if one wants to add existing footcontrollers (not really necessary) to control paramaters in real-time of during tracking/mixing.

11. i was thinking about the V-bass, but i was kinda learning towards rackmount effects...although the vbass does look pretty cool...

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I was always into rack myself, but after quite a few units, it struck me: I always ended up with a midi floor-board of some sort to control them anyway ... The V-Bass chassis and case are very stout and it puts out a signal that you could arc weld with - so I just put it up on a 14-space rack when I'm tweaking/designing presets, and for rehearsals and gigs it goes down on the floor where my footies can bring extra goodness.

13. well, you see, i am a big fan of tweaking presets live, and its a lot easier on me if i don't have to bend down...if i have a rack, i can put it at eye level or near eye-level i can edit the presets as i wish...thats the only reason that i kinda want a rack processor...

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I just design my presets with a lot of realtime continuous control built into them. Rarely do I touch a knob after the first few seconds of soundcheck - hands on the bass, and face to the audience! ; }

15. with your vbass?

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Yup.

17. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    I look at it this way go with the NB if you are looking to do something creative. Buy the MPX if you are really into getting a modernized sound. Any other suggestions not really except you could buy the upgraded version of Fieldy's bass. {sorry forgot the name and brand}. I know that's kinda weird but teh sound demo on it sounded awesome. This bass isn't for slapping so it doesn't have all-time low sound. Or buy the Sunburst 4-string bass. That sounds pretty good as well. BUt I think you're best bet depends on what you really want to do.

18. do you have a vbass and a midi footcontroller then?

19. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I have one small thin footswitch velcro'd to the unit. The rest is programmed to the contollers the unit already has: CTL pedal, foot-treadle, and the switches on the GK. You can use the patch-select buttons to turn effects modules off and on, as well.

Here's a piccie of my floor unit, with a big rubber foot attached to the MANUAL button so I can foot-toggle in and out of manual mode - I like to be able to turn effects on and off during performance. I chose

| OD/DS | MOD | CHO | DLY |

Any other effects used in a preset get assigned to another controller, or left on.

And there's the glued-on velcro patch where I've affixed an old Sequential Circuits momentary footswitch on a 1-foot lead going to a right angle plug, and it's mapped to CTL 1 ...In most presets I have CTL 1 hooked to Effects/Foot Volume, and set to TOGGLE between 75 and 100. I save the presets at 75 and then I have a volume boost when I need it. Good for solos or when someone is trying to drown you out ; }

[​IMG]

20. hmmm...looks workable, i'll have to look more into it :)