1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Niki Sixx radio show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Jun 5, 2011.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I was listening to his show (the sixth sense) on x103 (103.3fm) when Niki decided to share the story of his first bass.

Apparently he went into the guitar store with an empty case. Picked out the bass he wanted, put in the case and then walked out.

How he managed to do it without anyone noticing is beyond me but, that takes some stones. As much as I dislike thieves I have to admire his gall.

2. Hmm...now that he's made his fortune, I wonder if he has the decency to track down the owner of the store or his descendants and pay them for the bass...

3. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    Imagine if young Frank Feranna had been a little more honest. The world would have been deprived of "Girls, Girls, Girls" and
    "Home, Sweet Home"
    :rollno:

4. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    home sweet home is a certified classic loved by millions of people. the guy writes great songs, and you have eye rollin smileys. i think he wins

5. Yeah, it's right up there with Madonna's classic 80s tunes.

But to be fair, I do like the Shout at the Devil album. It's cheesy, but it's stuff like that that made the 80s fun.

6. And that's why I love Nikki Sixx.

7. JTFormula

JTFormula

Jan 20, 2011
    Brick, NJ
    Plus its the official music for Strips Clubs everywhere

8. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    that would be the respectable and honest thing to do, but I don't see it happening.

9. Pick the one that doesn't belong:
    respectable
    Nikki Sixx
    Honest

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Quite a role model there.

11. Probably easier when he did it in the 70's, less radio alarms and CCTV?

12. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    I don't know if he included the part about having never played bass he actually grabbed a guitar.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Half of the the stories that band and it's members peddle is macho BS for sure.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    More than likely it is just a "story" to keep with his image.

Might be true, might not.

Of course rock stars would never fabricate or embellish a story to reinforce their image....

15. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    I don't steal.

I don't go about claiming I stole my first instrument in an effort to boost my street cred.

Sure, I would love to have Nikki's money and songwriting ability, but not at the expense of my integrity.

I was a teenager in the early 80's and I can attest to the influence that rock stars like Nikki Sixx have over the attitudes and actions of young people who look up to them. Now I am raising a teenage daughter who inherited, among other things, my love of rebellious, in-your-face rock and roll.

I try to strike a balance between encouraging her to enjoy her youth in much the same way I enjoyed mine, while countering the negative influences peddled by image-soaked rock stars who boast about their anti-social and self destructive behavior. As far as I know, Nikki Sixx has freed himself from the grip of his old vices and he certainly has no need to steal gear anymore.

As Spectrum mentioned, it would be nice if he would track down the people he stole the guitar from back in the day and make amends. As it stands, he simply continues to pump up his image with this story... and influence yet another generation of impressionable kids.

16. I remember reading an interview from the late 80's about this. Great storyline. I've just never had the balls to steal as much as a 3 cent piece of bubblegum from an individual,much less a store. IMHO,that's sooo rock'n'roll.

17. I see a lot of hating on the band. While I would never steal a guitar, and would certainly not steal it from a pawn shop that depends on every item to stay alive, I kind of see it as a case of "Do what you have to". I know graphic designers who have stolen photoshop to get themselves started.

And Jeff 66, were you influenced by the rebellious rock and roll? I think a lot of it comes down to having good decision making paradigms. I hear lots of stories of broke musicians stealing guitars, but when it came to buying my bass last year (14 at the time) I spent all $200 of my past 8 months' earnings on one, when I had more than one opportunity to walk out of stores with one.

18. Jeff 66

Jeff 66

Nov 5, 2009
    In some ways, yes... But overall, I agree that a solid foundation and basic good sense can go a long way when teens face tough decisions. I was lucky in that regard. I smoked a lot of pot and drank to excess on several occasions, but I don't blame that so much on the rock stars I idolized. I steered clear of the hard stuff and kept my head on my shoulders despite my idolization of guys like Nikki Sixx and Ozzy Osbourne.

Now that I am a parent, I see things like this through a totally different set of lenses. When I first heard this story decades ago, I bought into the 'cool' factor, just as intended. Now I see it as a mark of shame, but still recall how differently I perceived it back when I was a kid.

19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Well..it was a different time..before GC and all that we have today security wise...in fact its prolly why we have the security.;)

We (me & others) , got away with drum heads, sticks, strings , picks, straps..and misc accesories back in the day.
    Not proud of it, just sayin it wasn't hard back then.(Well late 80s for me) when Nikki Sixx did it, it was even earlier/easier.

Nikki & Motley are awesome, and probably the reason I got into Music.
    :bassist:

20. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    You love him because he's a thief? It doesn't take much to impress you, does it??