Nikka Costa anyone?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Her new album "can'tneverdidnothin' " is such a good record. It's been kickin my butt with its stankin funky grooves, and Joplin meets Tina Turner vocal delivery. I haven't been able to stop listenning for two weeks. SUCH an improvement, raw-grittiness-wise over "everybody's got their somthing" from 2001, which in istelf was a stellar record.

A handfull of tremendous musicians lent a hand to these sessions...from Abe Laboriel Jr to Lenny Kravitz to Jon Brion to Roger Manning. Each driving up the funk and soul to incredible sexy heights. even the obligatory ballads are fantastic. You won't be disspointed.
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    *typical guy mode*

She's wikkid hawt. OMG.

I only heard the first single she put out a few years ago, pretty good... but I mostly just remeber her being hot. I normally don't drool over pop stars... she does it for me for some reason.
  3. I know Matt, ask anyone who knows me and they'll say I think she's the hottest lady alive.

But beyond that, (and because I heard the first record long before I saw what she looks like) the music is just great, especially on this second outing.

If you like really funky r&b with a bit of blues flavor sprinked on here and there, and cannot stand Joss Stone because you feel she's fakey, then Nikka is your authentic-flavored cup of funky tea.

She has quite the pedigree to back her up too... I just can't get enough of this record. the title track just kills me. the feel of it. I can do without the single, tho it's good...but there's so much good stuff on here. Hell, buy it used for all I care, just get it and groove to it.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On that note:

I really dug the first single that I heard from her a few years ago. It had a really cool bouncy groove.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well at least you will never be able to make fun of me for liking Kelly Clarkson.

6. I own all of the shakira albums...............
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    It's like the state thing. Doesn't count if you can't understand it.
  8. Abark, I won't rip on ya for liking Kelly Clarkson, the girl has pipes, but you kinda do Nikka a disservice by putting them in the same leauge. Not even close.

One (Nikka) is a girl who grew up in a musical family with a father who composed with Sinatra, had cats like Sly Stone and other luminaries hanging around the house playing music day in and day out, writes her own songs and forges her own identity and just drips authenticity, regardless of how "they" market her...

and the other (Kelly) was on American Idol, and is told what to do by Simon Cowell.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wasn't putting them in the same league. I was ragging on the man called Till.

I remember the girl in questions first single, I either really liked it or really hated.

I'm card-carrying metal and jazz loving weirdo who has a soft-spot for mainstream pop music.
  10. Ha, I edited my post because I was being catty, timing is bad...I knew you were ripping on Till, just making a bit of clarification on my part...

I have a soft spot for mainstream pop in some cases too...we all do (some just won't admit tapping their foot)...

It just sickens me when (imo) true talent (Nikka) goes un-spotlighted all the while when Ashlee Simpson plays monkey on t.v. and gets idolized.

Then again, Ive in the past had this same argument against Avril Lavigne. glad she's over. :D
  11. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I love Nikka, love the voice, love the backing tracks, love the new CD. I put it on, and it feels like the Seventies again.

Gimme something I can work with here...
  12. Yeah, great track...a little "how to" for Playas that got no game. The lyrics are really great.
  13. I saw Nikka Costa maybe 4 years ago at a festival-style thing that my friend's band was playing in. She was the headliner and I vividly remember thinking that her band was just about the tightest, best-sounding band i'd heard in years. The entire band was great. FYI, the bass player was playing a Stingray through an Eden rig and sounded like you'd expect that rig to sound (meaning, really good :).